Management speak

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Let's all have some blue sky thinking so we can hit the ground running and are singing from the same hymn sheet.'

Used by a manager to me years ago at a Doxford-park based Loans Company. He was an utter twat and the company went bust a few years after they sacked me, a then-father of a 3 month old baby. Twats.

You obviously didn't hit the ground running!

Going for a meeting in the morning became 'attending morning prayers' in our office.

I once heard someone using the phrase 'synergising the paradigm'. No idea what that meant.

Thick twat! :lol:

Last edited:

Hate all this management claptrap. Need a root and branch appraisal to help move the goalposts, push the envelope, take it to the next level, create a strategic fit and then bring it back to the table. That should put the rubber to the road, take it offline and put it to bed. It's a quality driven, client-focused win win situation

There's a post-it note up in an office I use regularly which says - 'what is the customer's journey?'

It's a f***ing air traffic control centre, they take off from one airport and land at another, now fuck off.

Thank God I don't have to listen to that rubbish now. After 40 years of wearing a suit and tie - it does not matter.

I will just park that over there for later digestion and alternative strategies...

Thank God I don't have to listen to that rubbish now. After 40 years of wearing a suit and tie - it does not matter.

I will just park that over there for later digestion and alternative strategies...

I twigged that a while ago! People need to stop and think whether the big issues will still warrant the attention in 5 years time.

I got a new boss this year who has arrived from the USA.

I now work in a "matrix organisation structure", perform "cold eye reviews", "deep dives" and occasionally have to "peel back the onion".

I now work in a "matrix organisation structure", perform "cold eye reviews", "deep dives" and occasionally have to "peel back the onion".

I attended a training course once and the tutor was from the US. For the first 2 days we fannied around so on the last day we had a hell of a lot of content to work through. No problem though - the tutor proclaimed that it was 'hammer time' and we all went for it.

Unfortunately didn't see any of this ...

The single word that makes me want to kill the bastard that utters it is "challenge", usually by some blinky eyed Poindexter who's just asked you to do something utterly unachievable and/or pointless.

"I know it might be a bit of a challenge"

ONLY TO ME YOU ARSEHOLE!!!

The one that got right to me today was 'gift' As in that's not part of so and so's gift, that's actually part of so and so's gift. What's wrong with 'remit'?

Peeling them onions is bound to make your eyes water as will the cold. Makes perfect sense to me.

Did anyone hear that wanker on the apprentice say "There's no "I" in team but there are 5 in individual
brilliance"?

Best ones I've heard at work include:

Sometimes you need to tell someone they have an ugly baby.

It's his sheep, he can shag it.

Ooh. Best practice. Best in class. Proper management speak. Everything is 'best'.

My department is a "Centre of Excellence".

I'd hate to see the outskirts of excellence if the shite we get is the centre.

The worst part of it if they've added CoE on to all of the team names. It does nothing but make you look like a dick and raise questions about your credibility.

Hate all this management claptrap. Need a root and branch appraisal to help move the goalposts, push the envelope, take it to the next level, create a strategic fit and then bring it back to the table. That should put the rubber to the road, take it offline and put it to bed. It's a quality driven, client-focused win win situation

Good for you mate, grab that low hanging fruit.

Last edited:
Mate of mine had to go on a secondment to a R&D facility of a well-known confectionary company in France last year. They had a 'tidy' desk policy which meant nothing but your keyboard, monitor, mouse and mousemat were allowed to be on your desk at the end of the working day.
Had that at the last office but one I worked in. It was combined with an agile desk policy, where basically certain desks were given to specific projects, but every other desk in the whole building was deemed as a hot desk, so you just turned up and sat where you liked. You also had no storage space, so had to carry everything with you everywhere you went.

Because my work needed software which was pc specific, as well as multiple monitor configuration, I refused to work until they gave me a desk of my own with correctly configured pc and monitors, then I put an A4 sign on the central monitor before I went home each day saying this desk is not a hot desk. Still sometimes, I'd get in in the morning, and somebody had removed the sign and sat there. Twats!

This thread brings back a few memories!

Mentioned this previously, but about ten years ago got out of work for the afternoon when scenes for an episode of Grumpy Old Women entitled "management speak" was filmed in my work's main boardroom, my old boss was involved in it playing the part of main management speaker, I was one the staff used as an extra sitting around the table hanging on his every word.

Every line imaginable was used that afternoon....

"Let's win this race together one hurdle at a time."
"There is no I in Team, but there is a me if you look hard enough."
"Let's raise some ideas on the flagpole and see which way they blow."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back