Our wort ever top level strikeforce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
stead gray le tallec?

This without a shadow of a doubt, we also had Chris Brown, Kyle and Stephen Elliott at the time IIRC. At least the current lads have the excuse that we only play one up front too.

not for the cost its not....I bet le tallec and gray cost peanuts

Le Tallec was on loan. The cost is relative though - at that time we spent less than £5m in a top flight season as we were totally skint, £2.9m of our spend was on Gray and Stead, whilst about £1.1m was on Kelvin Davis. These days in the top flight we'll generally spend anywhere from £10m to £20m (or at times more) so Wickham at £8m to £12m one season, Fletcher and a decent start where his goals over that season paid a large chunk of his fee at £12m, then Graham at £5m and Altidore at £6m a season or so later certainly isn't good business, but it's spread out, so your hopes and chances aren't instantly diminished in a matter of weeks.

Last edited:

For me, Altidore is at the same level as Le tallec, Gray, Stead etc. He avoids being as unpopular as them due to being good on twitter and American imo.

I agree Graham & Jozy are not up to scratch... However Wickham & Fletch are decent imo and are just a goal away from kick starting their seasons.

I'd swap Fletcher Altidore and Graham for John Byrne, Don Goodman and Phil Gray if i had a time machine to be honest.

We played Daryl Murphy and Anthony Stokes up front against Liverpool in August 2007 and unsurprisingly never looked like scoring in a 2-0 defeat.

Craig russell was on the bench a lot that season as well. Paul Stewart played up front on his own a lot.

Craig Russell, pace aside, was worse than anyone we have now. Our worst stikeforce was Gray, LeTallec, Stead.

He wasn't worse than Altidore. No outfield player in the 40 years I've been watching the lads has been has consistently abysmal as him....sorry...

Bendtner and Sess? I think Larsson was out top goal scorer that season.

I think we just put all our eggs in the Borini basket, by the time we gave up other clubs has snapped up the good available strikers.
Bizarre to even suggest Bendtner and Sess. They're not even close to the worst. If you consider the shite we've had in recent times, they're closer to the best.

Before my time but thought Baker was supposed to have been decent, that might have been before he came to us like, normally the case !
It was - he was awful for us. When we got relegated in 1970, Gordon Harris (Grandad!) was our top scorer with 7 goals and I thought that was abysmal then, but I'm not sure we've even got a 7-goal a season player in the team now.

Le Tallec and Stead

Kyle and Proctor

Stead and Gray

Stewart and Howey

Flo and stewart

Phil Gray and Brett Angell

just off the top of my head
No wonder we don't go on about our Famous Number 9s! But we've generally had better goalkeepers than the Filth.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back