Pink Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubrey Powell?

I agree, Wright was amazing and could make the songs sound incredible.

I think Storm more the main man though wasn't he? Apparently Powell has served as 'creative director' anyway according to Wiki:

The album cover was described by Anthony Barnes of the Press Association as depicting "a young man in open shirt punting across a sea of clouds towards the glow of the sun",[33] and was conceived and designed by 18 year old Eqyptian artist Ahmed Emad Eldin. It was turned into a digital artwork by the design studio Stylorouge.[34] The album is the sixth studio album by Pink Floyd not to feature artwork by long-time collaborator, and co-founder of music art studio Hipgnosis, Storm Thorgerson, alongside The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, More, Obscured by Clouds, The Wall and The Final Cut; every studio album otherwise featured album covers by Thorgerson, including also various live and compilation albums.[35] Thorgerson died in 2013,[36] leaving Gilmour, Mason and Hipgnosis co-founder Aubrey Powell to seek another artist to create the artwork for the new album.[34]

Ahmed Emad Eldin was discovered by Powell and his team after coming across his galleries on websites such as Behance, where he had made his artworks available for public viewing. Eldin was subsequently contacted and commissioned to create the artwork forThe Endless River. Eldin had been a fan of Pink Floyd beforehand, and had accepted the offer with enthusiasm.[37] Eldin talked about his inspiration for his artworks with London-based national newspaper The Independent, stating that "Thinking about life and nature and what is beyond the world of charming factors we have never seen is enough to create millions of different amazing feelings. First, I draw a sketch for what is in my mind, then I start to simulate the sketch and the idea with real images, and that’s called photo manipulation"[38] The artwork was well received by Powell, who stated that when he and his team saw Ahmed’s concept it had "an instant Floydian resonance", and described it as "enigmatic and open to interpretation" and that the image "works so well for The Endless River".[39]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_River#Packaging

I reckon it's alright actually. It sort of resonates with Wright's death, which is quite fitting really...

Logon or register to see this image

It was really just an experiment. They each had half a side with which to do a solo piece. Why they wanted to release it I'm not sure, but the live record was the vehicle with which to do so I think. Without that, I doubt they'd have quite gotten away with it.

Yeah, but when you're 14 and dependent on Mum & Dad for cash, and have to buy a double album to get the live stuff, that sort of self-indulgence is a pain. I suppose it was quite prevalent at the time - Tales from Topographic Oceans and most of the works of ELP spring to mind.

Yeah, but when you're 14 and dependent on Mum & Dad for cash, and have to buy a double album to get the live stuff, that sort of self-indulgence is a pain. I suppose it was quite prevalent at the time - Tales from Topographic Oceans and most of the works of ELP spring to mind.
:lol:

Given my age that's never been an issue for me, but I've never been a great fan of the double album like.

DSOTM is a f***ing brilliant, timeless album, but the one I keep going back to is Animals. Never really got the whole Wish You Were Here thing.
... However, I can't get away with The Final Cut.QUOTE]

Animals is my (current) favourite Floyd album - for me, The Final Cut repays listening; it's as angry as Animals and some of the guitar is great.
WYWH is Waters in his more reflective mode (I'm not sure he's been in it since, tbh). The 1977 tour show was great - Animals in the first half, WYWH and some of DSoTM in the second. Pity I had (as I remember) had to go to a giant cowshed in Staffordshire to see it - the acoustics were very poor

:lol:

Given my age that's never been an issue for me, but I've never been a great fan of the double album like.

A well-filled CD is (was? Does anyone still buy them?) the equivalent of a vinyl double album.

"Topper double albums" would be a good thread, tho I imagine it will have already been done.

Hmmm...'A Pillow of Winds' and 'Seamus' won't be in many people's Floyd Top 10, I dare say. 'Fearless' is pretty mundane and 'One of These Days' is a gimmicky rewrite of 'Eugene'. Not for me.

Tad irrelevant really, or at least it is to me.On The Run probably wouldn't be in people's top 10 neither, but you wouldn't want Dark Side of the Moon to be without it. I don't tend to think about the individual tracks when it comes to Floyd records. It's about the complete record. How it all goes together, how the album flows. I like those tracks on there. They work. And then Echoes is the climatic tour de force. Cracking album.

And as for One of These Days - it's class man. Great album opener. And I don't get how it's a rewrite of Eugene. You've completely lost me with that none.

A well-filled CD is (was? Does anyone still buy them?) the equivalent of a vinyl double album.

"Topper double albums" would be a good thread, tho I imagine it will have already been done.

You're right, it is. And I've said it loads of times before, but that's one of the major problems with how people make records these days, and it's been that way ever since CDs came to prominence. Because artists suddenly realise that have 70-odd minutes to fill, rather than 40-odd, they feel the need to go and do it. OK there's an argument for giving the fans their money's worth, but really you just end up with nigh on half an hour's worth of filler than nobody really wants to hear. For me, it killed the concept of the album.

Last edited:
Tad irrelevant really, or at least it is to me.On The Run probably wouldn't be in people's top 10 neither, but you wouldn't want Dark Side of the Moon to be without it. I don't tend to think about the individual tracks when it comes to Floyd records. It's about the complete record. How it all goes together, how the album flows. I like those tracks on there. They work. And then Echoes is the climatic tour de force. Cracking album.

And as for One of These Days - it's class man. Great album opener. And I don't get how it's a rewrite of Eugene. You've completely lost me with that none.
We'll agree to disagree on Meddle, then.

As regards Eugene and One of These Days, I was simply thinking of the subject-matter - for me Eugene is far better. I can only think that the Dr. Who theme puts in an appearance in 'Days' because it has no choon - it's just a riff (albeit a decent one) and some gimmicky processed vocals.

Flip the disc and get to the pings, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back