Rail line to Port of Sunderland to be reopened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are they on about the old rail lines that run along hendon beach area to the dock?
I hope not, love walking the dog down there.

Amazing all of those rail lines closed uner Beecham and now they are re-opening at a rate of knots. What goes around comes around.

The lines that Beeching closed initially were only part one of his remit. He ultimately wanted the only lines to be main lines to and from London to remain open.

Amazing all of those rail lines closed uner Beecham and now they are re-opening at a rate of knots. What goes around comes around.
Although you make a good point, it doesn't apply to the Port's rail line as this closed in 1995.

I hope the rest of the plans actually progress too, although I am confused to why South Tyneside council is bidding for money with a Sunderland council owned port.
STC aren't they are bidding with Sunderland City Council, rather than with the Port. Although the port is municipally owned it operates as a separate business to the council with it's own board etc.

One in the eye for the sandies!
Erm... hardly and I'm not even a sandy!

Ludicrous that it was allowed to close down anyway. Didn't they take down one of the rail bridges on the line a few years ago?
In a rare show of foresight from Sunderland City Council, no. they actually maintained a rail bridge at a significant cost when the Southern Radial Route was built

Cheers, we be had loads of enquiries about shipping stone to Scandinavian recently and I don't really want to use Boro !
Why would you use Teesport when you have Seaham, Sunderland and Tyne to choose from. what size vessels you looking at?

Last edited:
the brian mills/janet frazer siding is still there anarl. you can walk the line from hendon beach across the top of the dock to the welcome tavern,you're not tresspassing btw

I knew you would have a post in this thread Mr History of Sunderland

Hopefully Nissan can be persuaded to use the docks more after their dummy run last year. The fella running the docks know certainly knows what he is doing. Previously PoT iirc
I'm assuming with the money being spent, there'll already be contracts in place. Even if it is Sunderland council, I can't see them spending millions on the hope that people will use it. :lol:

Are they on about the old rail lines that run along hendon beach area to the dock?
I hope not, love walking the dog down there.

Yes , but it will be the rusty line that will be reopened. Take the dog on the beach instead.

I'm assuming with the money being spent, there'll already be contracts in place. Even if it is Sunderland council, I can't see them spending millions on the hope that people will use it. :lol:

Well, in the 1980's British Rail opened a South to East curve at Pontop Crossing between East Boldon and Boldon Colliery, the idea being that it would let rail traffic (mainly coal) from the south access Tyne Dock without reversing at Pelaw. The curve was closed for a long time but reopened a couple of years ago. The problem is that any freight using it has to go through Sunderland station so it clashes with the Metro, Grand Central, Northern Rail etc. With this line reopened it would be possible to send the freight to South Dock instead, taking a load of trains off the station area.

Last edited:
It's Network Rail that are spending the money, not the Council and not the Port.

Well done to Mr. Hunt and Port of Sunderland.

So the rail line will go from the South Dock to where? They would have to divert away from Sunderland train station so they'd lead to somewhere on the outskirts of Hendon and then down the coast????

When we were kids our dad would drive us to the coast when we were bored but he spent more time watching stuff being loaded and unloaded at the docks. Amazing how busy the area was up until the 1990s, hods of cranes, ships etc. Even when we went to Seaburn/Roker/Whitburn there were ships waiting outside the port ready to make berth, sometimes seemed like loads of them on the horizon.

Looks good from this pic.

Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back