Things you miss about football since you first went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting a pie, 1st bite was piping hot but the middle was frozen.

Never learned and continued to purchase every week for 18 years before moving to SoL.

The luke warm, 80% water 20% something that would likely be banned nowadays, burgers in the Roker End werent much nicer either.

Standing in the Fulwell
Cheap prices (including pies etc)
Ridiculously bad toilets
Blokes walking away from the match with transistor radios pressed to their ears trying to listen to the other results while everyone else tried to hear too
winning quite a bit, it doesnt happen very often now

Sky not f***ing about with kick off times ( BT exonerated cause the twats hardly show us )
Fa cup replays been the follwing Tuesday Wednesday not a f***ing week later cause of the polis

Standing in the Fulwell
Cheap prices (including pies etc)
Ridiculously bad toilets
Blokes walking away from the match with transistor radios pressed to their ears trying to listen to the other results while everyone else tried to hear too

Buying peanuts from the peanut seller then pinging them off his head as soon as he turns his back.

Football rattles - whatever happened to them? Amazing sound when thousands of them went off at once - I was never sure what they were supposed to do though - I mean would a player be inspired on to greater efforts by a very loud buzzing sort of clacking sound? I am buggered if I know. They were all lovingly painted red and white though and some folk had huge ones Were they passed down from father to son and finally ritually burned on bonfires?

They seemed to disappear around the 1966 World Cup finals when air horns were introduced (honk honk - honk honk honk - honk honk - honk honk - Engerrrland )

The low profile nature of it all. It was never 24 x 7 stuuff in the media, the match ended, you went home and by sunday night any telly appearances were over, sometimes for a month and people got on with their lives. Now its shoved down your throat day in and day out. Things seems a bit more backwater and sedate.

Proper pies, punch ups on the terraces,boxing day matches at home on a cold crispy day at Roker Park, night matches, band playing at half time, Roker bingo, Tennicks away buses, bit of tripe and cow heel from the shop in Dundas street

Getting searched going into the ground. I knew I was an old fart 15 years ago because they stopped searching me then and I've never been searched since.:cry:

Just read through the entire thread (up to post 52) and these are the quotes that sum up my feelings.

Being younger than the players

The view, I've never seen a better site in my life than walking up the steps to the Roker End and gazing across Roker Park, The night games were magical

They were, equally, as good from The Fulwell marra - I started in The Roker and moved when the roof was put on the FE.

players sprinting out of the tunnel smashing footballs into the air rather than walking out to that shit premier league music

Hate the fuckin love in before the match then the players spend 90 minutes kicking punching cheating the players they just been shaking hands with :lol:

The subject of the two posts above, really, does my head in, what is the need for this cr*p?

It only spoils the pre match atmosphere!

Fa cup replays been the follwing Tuesday Wednesday not a f***ing week later cause of the polis

That, for me, is just one of the reasons that fans have fallen "out of love" with what was, undoubtedly, the greatest cup competition in world football - The FA need to be ashamed of themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back