Truency

How about they don’t qualify for future benefits if they haven’t got a reasonable attendance quota and truancy is the reason ( not illness of course !)

That a fair deal to me .

Used to skive at work ,but dolled off at school !!!

It's not all bad kids mind !
Kids with additional needs too but we’re not talking about them.

Anyone who needs a taxi and chaperone to get them to school purely because they don’t want to turn up is a bad kid in my book.

I respect also that not everyone has the same opportunities as others too and aren’t privileged with a stable home life.

Last edited:
Generation X. They are being train for life of claiming benefits, living on handouts and being better off than thos on middle income jobs struggling to pay bills and have a comfortable life. The system has allowed it to happen.

A funny time I didn't go to school once was we always had an urban myth that if the school bus was a certain amount of time late (like 30 minutes for example) you could be off school (God forbid you used an actual service bus...) so one day in year 10 or 11 we were all waiting for the bus and it didn't show up, it got to the mythical 30 minute delay and we all decided to go home. Everyone I was with lived on one side of the village with me the only one going in the opposite direction...

My Mam was at work and my Dad who was working in the building trade at the time, was always driving around the north east visiting building sites but must have been on a local call because when I got home he was back home too and about to leave in the car. He was insisting on dropping me off at school a few miles away but I argued "EVERYONE ELSE IS OFF TOO, IT''LL BE FINE"...

Fast forward 24 hours, got to the bus stop before school with everyone asking me, "where were you yesterday?!" I replied with "off like everyone else?" Turns out when the rest of the group got home their parents drove them to school too...with me being the only one not going in :oops: :lol: :rolleyes: whoops!

It's because kids ain't scared of their parents anymore. I was scared to disappoint me ma when I was a kid, she gave me a clip up till the age of ten or so I was way too big at that point but I respected her and didn't want to disappoint her. I "dolled" off now and then as did most kids but I see kids clearly off school and fine kicking about with their ma's it's a different world tomthe 80s and 90s.
Fear isn't a good motivator. I'd never hit any child, let alone my own.

However you mention the word 'respect' and I agree entirely. There has been a loss of respect towards parents, teachers, police and elders. This surely is down to parenting but it is difficult to see how the situation can be retrieved.

My kids aren't angels. Which kids are? But they know the limits and they are respectful and polite at school. That wasn't achieved through threats of violence and it never has to be.

I " jigged " quite a bit in the early 70s . Didnt do my exam results any good like . Thought i was too clever to need to learn anything else.
I jigged too, but only once or twice late on in school life.

Always thought jigged was a Yorkshire term tbh... was it used up here (Sunderland) too?

I used to bunk off. There were two key factors.

Firstly I found school seriously boring.

Secondly, I could get away with it. My parents didnt show any interest in what I was doing and school didn't either.

I never did this and now I'm Elon Musk. Stay in school kids and you too can be a deranged multi-billionaire.

Shivon, where are my purple jelly beans? You know I can't operate without them...

How about they don’t qualify for future benefits if they haven’t got a reasonable attendance quota and truancy is the reason ( not illness of course !)

That a fair deal to me .
"So Sally, I see you've applied for universal credit for your wean, but unfortunately, you're only entitled to half, because you missed a Geography lesson when you were 13"

Kids that regularly don't attend are now classed as "non attenders" and it's put down to anxiety. There's very little that can be done from a school POV.

This already happens. The bad kids get a taxi put on, with a chaperone (paid for).
It's always been the case that the wronguns get given shit to come into school. I remember when I was in school, a select few who skived loads got put into a competition where each day they came to school counted as one entry. One of them won like a few tech prizes I think it was. Meanwhile the kids who were always in got nowt

A funny time I didn't go to school once was we always had an urban myth that if the school bus was a certain amount of time late (like 30 minutes for example) you could be off school (God forbid you used an actual service bus...) so one day in year 10 or 11 we were all waiting for the bus and it didn't show up, it got to the mythical 30 minute delay and we all decided to go home. Everyone I was with lived on one side of the village with me the only one going in the opposite direction...

My Mam was at work and my Dad who was working in the building trade at the time, was always driving around the north east visiting building sites but must have been on a local call because when I got home he was back home too and about to leave in the car. He was insisting on dropping me off at school a few miles away but I argued "EVERYONE ELSE IS OFF TOO, IT''LL BE FINE"...

Fast forward 24 hours, got to the bus stop before school with everyone asking me, "where were you yesterday?!" I replied with "off like everyone else?" Turns out when the rest of the group got home their parents drove them to school too...with me being the only one not going in :oops: :lol: :rolleyes: whoops!

We also used the 30 minutes late rule. Can't remember if we ever enforced it despite the bus not showing up quite a few times. :D

It's because kids ain't scared of their parents anymore. I was scared to disappoint me ma when I was a kid, she gave me a clip up till the age of ten or so I was way too big at that point but I respected her and didn't want to disappoint her. I "dolled" off now and then as did most kids but I see kids clearly off school and fine kicking about with their ma's it's a different world tomthe 80s and 90s.
Spot on . In our era you had the combination of a bollocking and not wanted to disappoint your parents. Nowadays a lot of the scratters blame the school and the inevitable bullying, mental health etc gets pulled.
Had several mates who use to bunk school occasionally, I wouldn't dare, my parents would be on my case, let alone what my dad would do to me (80/90s as well).
I once did it and got a few of my mates round to play Vice City. Turned out stepdad was off to do some work on the house and turned up about 10 and we were trapped in my bedroom for about 5 hours luckily my bedroom was downstairs and had an en suite. Was starving by the time he eventually fucked off and ended sat playing the ps2 on mute with the curtains shut from about 10 until 3

Last edited:

Back