Truency

I used to doll off loads when I was at school, went in, got my mark then sneaked out. Kids can't do that these days cos the front indoor door to reception is locked (at least at Castle View it is), think it was a safety thing after Dunblane.
My son is 15 and has autism and can't go anywhere alone so has obviously never dolled off. He wouldn't be able to anyway without me finding out as they ring if they haven't turned up by a certain time. My Mam and Dad didn't have a clue when I didn't go to school.
Used to do the same at Thornhill. Get your mark then nash out up the bank and over the fence. Used to run up at first but as got in 5th year it was a casual stroll up bank and the odd flick of the Vs at any teacher shouting.

Similar to the pulling the sickie thread, the reasons are varied and nuanced. Mental health, bullying, caring responsibilities, issues at home. Lockdown has added an extra layer of complexity with the mindset that 'going to school' was important was turned on its head.
Anyone with a catch all solution about punishment or blaming a certain generation are talking out of their hoop.
I was doing it nearly forty years ago. I doubt the teachers cared one way or the other whether I was there but if I took a couple of the disruptive lads with me I know they happily turned a blind eye.
It's an issue that needs to be looked at and will need a range of solutions but it's nowhere near as simple as people are making out.

Similar to the pulling the sickie thread, the reasons are varied and nuanced. Mental health, bullying, caring responsibilities, issues at home. Lockdown has added an extra layer of complexity with the mindset that 'going to school' was important was turned on its head.
Anyone with a catch all solution about punishment or blaming a certain generation are talking out of their hoop.
I was doing it nearly forty years ago. I doubt the teachers cared one way or the other whether I was there but if I took a couple of the disruptive lads with me I know they happily turned a blind eye.
It's an issue that needs to be looked at and will need a range of solutions but it's nowhere near as simple as people are making out.
Yeah no doubt, we all done it years ago.
Big difference is if you got caught the consequences would have more than likely been different.
In most cases parents would have punished there kids and made sure if didn’t happen again or at least not come to the point were the kids stopped going too school.
I find it hard to understand why everything is now so ‘complex’ and there seems to be an excuse for not doing all the mundane things in life like work, school, paying your bills.
This country is way too quick to make it easy for people to do nowt for themselves.
Laying on taxis for kids who cant be arsed too get too school is just another example.

Yeah no doubt, we all done it years ago.
Big difference is if you got caught the consequences would have more than likely been different.
In most cases parents would have punished there kids and made sure if didn’t happen again or at least not come to the point were the kids stopped going too school.
I find it hard to understand why everything is now so ‘complex’ and there seems to be an excuse for not doing all the mundane things in life like work, school, paying your bills.
This country is way too quick to make it easy for people to do nowt for themselves.
Laying on taxis for kids who cant be arsed too get too school is just another example.
Your lack of comprehension doesn't make it any less complex.

Got to Year 11 and I'd pop to my gannies for my dinner. Friday afternoon I'd often not bother going back, think I had double business studies or something and we had a supply teacher in for most the year. He was just a young lad looking back but he was useless, nobody listened to him and I was getting nowt out of it, was a waste of time.

It's always been the case that the wronguns get given shit to come into school. I remember when I was in school, a select few who skived loads got put into a competition where each day they came to school counted as one entry. One of them won like a few tech prizes I think it was. Meanwhile the kids who were always in got nowt
It doesn’t change once they get older and leave school.

THE escape route at Farra was after getting your mark was to run diagonally across yard towards the swimming baths, along side of them and then over fence and into flats at side of school. This practise stopped when scatter guns were installed .

No different to adult workers who refuse to go back into the office
Got a proper bee in your bonnet about people wfh. And it's completely different.

Didn't truant much although I do remember a few of us took an afternoon off when it was a nice day and we had some acid to drop.

My lad decided to truant in year 10 but rang me to tell me he was sitting up Tunna hill and hadn’t gone to school, was just by himself no booze involved.

I went through a few weeks of him not wanting to go, he was 15 and his Dad had just moved out and the poor soul was totally lost.

The school were absolutely brilliant, arranged a phased return. Attendance office said what a good kid he was and the Majority of truancy cases are more than just not fancying going to school.

He’s doing his A levels now, I’m a proper proud Mam some kids just need support in difficult times.

There was one teacher at Monkwearmouth who wrote an absence note for a pupil pretending to be their parent, when they were going to get caught for "dolling off".

We thought he was a class teacher at the time, I'm not so sure now though.

Are they not using truancy as a broad term which is skewing the stats? Everyone on here is talking about skiving, playing the nick etc.

Truancy in my mind is/was when you bunked off without anyone's knowledge. I think they class school refusers are truant nowadays but that is different as it is with the parent/schools knowledge.

Got a proper bee in your bonnet about people wfh. And it's completely different.

Didn't truant much although I do remember a few of us took an afternoon off when it was a nice day and we had some acid to drop.
I do think it’s being abused aye but that’s just my opinion.

Back on Track, bunkin off school isn’t that big a deal if it’s only couple times only an issue if becomes regular , it’s often peer pressure and keeping in with your mates etc , if becomes regular then it’s a different matter

Back