Truency

THE escape route at Farra was after getting your mark was to run diagonally across yard towards the swimming baths, along side of them and then over fence and into flats at side of school. This practise stopped when scatter guns were installed .
Bede School escape route was across the back field into Barnes Park, then the world was your oyster! The school then recruited a Truancy Officer called Mr McKenzie.. this made dolling a little more difficult! Great days.
Used to do the same at Thornhill. Get your mark then nash out up the bank and over the fence. Used to run up at first but as got in 5th year it was a casual stroll up bank and the odd flick of the Vs at any teacher shouting.
The 5th year, I understand that it’s all year year 11 and all that nonsense now!
Bede and Thornhill sworn enemies in them days!!!

Last edited:

Bede School escape route was across the back field into Barnes Park, then the world was your oyster! The school then recruited a Truancy Officer called Mr McKenzie.. this made dolling a little more difficult! Great days.

The 5th year, I understand that it’s all year year 11 and all that nonsense now!
Bede and Thornhill sworn enemies in them days!!!
I left in 84. Knock about with lads now who went to Bede around that time.

Typed without my readers on, so take a could do better. 👍

Class room swat 😂

Give them a warning first time,
2nd time a weeks ban, 3rd time kick em out of school.
Parent’s responsibility to get them to school, why should tax payer lay on taxi’s to get kids into school ?
You’ve spelled tw## wrong Chris!

Back