'Value' beans vs branded beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

The quality is lower... more/ less so depending on the product.

In ASDA in terms of quality it goes:

Extra Special
Normal Product (E.g. Heinz)
Chosen by you
Smart Price

I think im right in saying that they add stuff to things like soup to bulk it out for smart price...?

Sainsburys digestives are softer and have a smaller dunk to mouth ratio out of all the digestives. Asda Smart Price Bourbons are disappointing as they're slimmer than the standard bourbon and the cream is applied in rosettes rather than a continuous later. They also have a weird aftertaste. So does the vanilla cream in Tesco Value custard creams, yet Tesco Value Bourbons fit all the criteria of a good Bourbon.

IMO ASDA's 'Chosen by you' biscuits are better then any other and cheaper then branded stuff.

The only Smart Price biscuit thing I would buy is the puffin bars... there class!

Also the best Smartprice thing is the midget gems for 31p they are by far the best sweets I have ever had :D

Last edited:
cant tell the difference mesell

Same with some cereals, can't tell with them either

The wife did try and fob me off with cheap Frosties, frosticles or some shite. They got fucked right off

I'll take the Frosties challenge with anything and I'll win

My mate is a manager in a food factory, he was telling me about the so called special brands and normal ones like lasagne

Only difference is the packaging in most cases, and sometimes about an extra 2p in meat
Aye, I've been to the Morrisons pie factory and they make all sorts of price ranges there. They might hoy a bit more meat in, but the pastry and that is all the same.

Extra Special
Chosen by you
Smart Price

I think im right in saying that they add stuff to things like soup to bulk it out for smart price...?

IMO ASDA's 'Chosen by you' biscuits are better then any other and cheaper then branded stuff.

The only Smart Price biscuit thing I would buy is the puffin bars... there class!

Also the best Smartprice thing is the midget gems for 31p they are by far the best sweets I have ever had :D
Are they fuck man. They are too soft and flavour is bland. Aldi midget gems are terrible mind. Greasy as owt.

Aldi beans are the definition of scratter food and taste dreadful

Are they fuck man. They are too soft and flavour is bland. Aldi midget gems are terrible mind. Greasy as owt.

The softness is what makes them great man! Its like a cross between wine gums and Midget Gems... class :cool:

As for the flavor... there much stronger then normal ones so dunno what your on about there

Extra Special
Chosen by you
Smart Price

Just dunking Waitrose own Highland Shortie Biscuits and they're gannin down a treat. Can give them a good dunk without fear of breakage. Only 49p anarl according to our lass.

The softness is what makes them great man! Its like a cross between wine gums and Midget Gems... class :cool:

As for the flavor... there much stronger then normal ones so dunno what your on about there
Mebbe I'm getting mixed up with Mortisons ones or summat then. Either way, they're nee lion brand like.

Tins of cheap chopped tomatoes are basically just all the stalk-end bits that they cut off from the premium brand plum tomatoes, so I avoid them.

The cheap (basics) rice is always cracked husks and broken so they tend to go really starchy and gloopy when cooked, so I avoid them.

Bourbons, custard creams and ginger snaps taste the same no matter how cheap or expensive they are, so I get the cheapo ones.

This is my tuppence-worth.

Not just beans, bread/tomatoes/cornflakes etc, owt that supermarkets sell as their own stuff versus the 'big' brands. Is it all really made in the same factories then shipped out in different packaging or is this just a myth?
No. The Value brands are all made from the same snouts and entrails and pumped with colourants and preservatives to make them into cornflakes, beans, tomatoes etc

Pretty inconclusive thread this with people arguing for different things. I'd say the branded stuff is usually better, but I'm not sure if that's just because I've had more of them and have a acquired the taste of that exact product.

Two products I do wonder why anyone would buy the expensive / branded stuff for are rice & pasta? The taste is almost completely dictated by sauce / external factors so why pay £2 for a bag of pasta when the same stuff is available for about £0.30?

Sainsburys digestives are softer and have a smaller dunk to mouth ratio out of all the digestives. Asda Smart Price Bourbons are disappointing as they're slimmer than the standard bourbon and the cream is applied in rosettes rather than a continuous later. They also have a weird aftertaste. So does the vanilla cream in Tesco Value custard creams, yet Tesco Value Bourbons fit all the criteria of a good Bourbon.

That is the most beautiful thing I've ever read.

personally I need to have heinz baked beans and coca cola but every other own brand stuff like ketchup etc I cant tell the difference, I've used lo-salt for years now too and couldnt tell you the difference yet its less than half the sodium content of normal salt.

That's because potassium chloride (the additive or diluter of sodium if you will) and sodium chloride (salt) taste very similar. It's not a branding thing.

Two products I do wonder why anyone would buy the expensive / branded stuff for are rice & pasta? The taste is almost completely dictated by sauce / external factors so why pay £2 for a bag of pasta when the same stuff is available for about £0.30?

There's a big difference between cheap pasta and bronze die pasta. The quality of wheat is difference and affects the taste of the end product. Cheap pasta is really smooth but bronze die pasta is really rough. The bronze die is better at absorbing water and cooks more evenly and the sauce clings to the rough surface better. The texture feels better in your mouth than smooth pasta.

Cheap rice is poor quality and it isn't aged. It has a lot more starch it and tends to go clumpy and soggy, and it's no good for making stuff like egg fried rice. I'd rather pay more for Tilda and have nice fluffy separate grains of rice and it tastes better too.

Any cheap label food = eaten by mingebags.

Or people who are in a nasty place in their life Wilf. :confused:

You like biscuits don't you Becs! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back