'Value' beans vs branded beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty inconclusive thread this with people arguing for different things. I'd say the branded stuff is usually better, but I'm not sure if that's just because I've had more of them and have a acquired the taste of that exact product.

Two products I do wonder why anyone would buy the expensive / branded stuff for are rice & pasta? The taste is almost completely dictated by sauce / external factors so why pay £2 for a bag of pasta when the same stuff is available for about £0.30?
Purely and simply because its not the same stuff.

De Cecco or Nepolitina pasta can elevate your pasta dishes to a level that wouldn't seem out of place in a tuscan trattoria. Honestly, give them a go.

That's because potassium chloride (the additive or diluter of sodium if you will) and sodium chloride (salt) taste very similar. It's not a branding thing.

if thats the case maybe they should try selling just potassium chloride or that with a touch of sodium, it'll probably be just as bad for you in excess like.

Or people who are in a nasty place in their life Wilf. :confused:

You like biscuits don't you Becs! :lol:
TBH its only really beans and cornflakes that I insist on the premium brands. Morrison's own brand liquorice allsorts are as good as any other.

The softness is what makes them great man! Its like a cross between wine gums and Midget Gems... class :cool:

As for the flavor... there much stronger then normal ones so dunno what your on about there
I take it all back marra. I went to asda on Friday night and I've gone through 3 bags of them since nom nom.

I love biscuits :D

Before I got diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, I was terrified in case it was coeliacs and I'd have to give up biscuits :oops:
I could happily exist on biscuits alone. I can easily do one of them tins of Victoria chocolates in a sitting.

Not just beans, bread/tomatoes/cornflakes etc, owt that supermarkets sell as their own stuff versus the 'big' brands. Is it all really made in the same factories then shipped out in different packaging or is this just a myth?
I'm sure this has been answered already but I can't be arsed to read trough so I'm going to answer again.

They are made in the same factories (not all the time mind) but not to the same recipes. The supermarkets set a budget and the factory produces the product to that budget. I'm sure sometimes they means you get exactly the same quality as branded versions.

I take it all back marra. I went to asda on Friday night and I've gone through 3 bags of them since nom nom.
This isn't Facebook and you're not a woman so cut that shit out marra.

I'm sure this has been answered already but I can't be arsed to read trough so I'm going to answer again.

They are made in the same factories (not all the time mind) but not to the same recipes. The supermarkets set a budget and the factory produces the product to that budget. I'm sure sometimes they means you get exactly the same quality as branded versions.

This isn't Facebook and you're not a woman so cut that shit out marra.
Sorry I meant lusharooney

As a student, I worked in an industrial bakery, making sliced bread. When I had to change over from Tesco value range to Sainsbury's premium one, the only change was that the bread was in the oven a few minutes longer.

Got a bottle of Lidl Queen Margot whisky on the go at the minute. Thought that I'd try it as it's won an award for quality.

Have to say that for £12 it's knocks f***ing spots off Bells or other cooking whisky like Grants or Grouse. Just goes to show that some own brand gear is ok.

Mixed beans in chilli sauce are the way forward, not like baked beans at all but still very good

Value stuff is usually ok but had some pop from some supermarket recently and each flavour tasted shit. Cannet remember which supermarket brand it was but al tack it back if I ever get it again.

the products you mentioned are basically the same gear as they're pretty much raw ingredients..........stuff that is processed often uses cheaper ingredients (try a chicken kiev and enjoy a mouth full of soya) and masks it with added sugar and salt. Even the more expensive branded bread uses soya as it's so cheap.
Nope. Some foods taste similar but as others have said corn flakes there is a huge difference in taste. I buy the cheapest in almost anything, there's a very small list of things I have to have a good brand.
Toilet roll
Bread
Toothpaste
Razors
Washing powder
Pepsi
Coffee
Breakfast cereal
The rest I buy the cheapest possible, unless a big brand is on offer and I might give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back