Vergini

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was part of the problem, definitely. Wouldn't single him out as the main culprit for that disaster mind.
clearly still recovering from a kamikaze transfer policy leaving us short of depth and guile..
aleverez, buckley, bridcutt in addition to most of the crap Di fanti sqautted out.
the litmus test for Dick and Congerton is to work together, something poyet seemed unwulling/ incapable of doing (look at the borini farce ... poyet using it to put the squeeze on congerton)

Reactions: DJM
A lot of the hatred is down to the back heel against Southampton, which was ill advised but hardly worth stringing him up over.

Gets singled out for making glaring errors at times but oshea had just as many of those moments last season anarl btw. I wouldn't be upset if he stayed, plus he covers 2 positions.

The whole defence had question marks against them either through making howlers, poor positioning or suspect defending generally yet as things stand they're all still here......new contracts for the dinosaurs, signing Coates on the basis of a half-decent end to the season ( a la Vergini the previous season) and now facing the prospect of being forced to sign a player we don't really want. The only addition is a player unproven at this level and who had already been replaced at his previous club who play in a pub league.

I hope Verghini turns it around - either by finding a club that takes him on or by knuckling down and winning Dick over.
He was very poor in a very poor squad last year - but I still think he has something about him.
His main problem will be trying to fight back from being 5th choice CB, as I am sure we will get at least one other in.
I don't think he or the club wants this scenario, but this is the kind of inevitable outcome of successive poor seasons and a revolving door policy on the squad.
Good luck Santi, hope your career takes off in this coming year - with us or elsewhere.

Good squad player and wouldnt be too upset if he stays, but at the same time I am thankful he wont be in the starting 11. I am sure between Brown and Jones they will keep the Physio bench warm so we need all the cover we can get

Lets just hope Poyet finds another manager role to take him and Bridcutt

Of the 2 dodgy loan deals we have going on, I don't think it's as big a problem keeping him as it is keeping Alvarez.

If I had to choose, I'd settle for Vergini as 4th choice rather than spunk a load of money on the lad from Celtic

He's an odd one. He's either canny and looks extremely composed and a solid defender or is just absolutely shite like Southampton away and Palace at home. Bit like Cuellar was.

Vergini - good age, probably cheap wages, has enough technical ability to suggest he could eventually acclimatise to english football and become an asset.

I don't hold with all of this hero to zero and zero to hero in 2 or 3 games bullshit.

Someone pointed out similarities with Coates misfiring period at the club so far and i think that's valid. They both have a lot of potential and could both do a job over the next few years in our squad.

In some ways, the Wes Brown contract threw the spanner in the works for him as that took up that 4th centre half slot which i didn't completely understand although we don't know the details of Brown's contract.

Everyone is down on Vergini and bigging up Coates, but there are a lot of similarities.

They both had poor first seasons on loan with a couple of good games at the end resulting in a clamour to sign them.

If you can be happy about one there's every reason to be happy about the other.

Looking at the season overall neither were up to much. Coates finished with a flourish and looks the better bet. Vergini is like a dog chasing a balloon.

Positives: he's clearly got some ability, won't have cost a lot and won't be on massive wages.

Negatives: prone to the odd brain fart.

However, with some coaching from Dick this could be drilled out of him (cutting out the fancy flicks and dribbling out from the back) so we could have a decent back up option for not a lot of outlay. Let's face it, we need bodies at the back and at least Vergini knows the place and we can be relatively sure of the performance level he can bring.

We could just as easily let him go and spend another £2m on a back up player who is horrifically shite instead.

Preferred him as cover on the right to be honest, got a few tricks in him. Two mistakes, ironically against the same team, and he's worse than shite :lol: we're not even a mid table club at the mo, he is decent cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back