Vergini

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaaah, the old making a player feel good about himself in pre season trick.

Works for us everytime, I bet Rickeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and Santi are chomping at the fkng bit to play their hearts out for us.

If we end up keeping him he could do a job as a holding midfielder with a bit of coaching.

This, I like him but it seems DA doesn't, would be a waste of wages and a squad spot if he isn't going to feature though.

doesnt matter what JOS, Brown etc have done, this bloke is a total liability - fkn hell man, 23 seconds in to game at Palace and he launches in to a tackle like that - should have gone and game was over which in the end we won 3-1. OG V Soton unforgivably ludicrous and that back heel - I mean which daft knacker would try that in a game of such magnitude. Cant be trusted defensively do let him go NOW

He'll be fifth choice centre half if Lombaerts signs and is already third choice at right back. Absolutely no point in keeping him if anyone else is willing to buy.

Positives: he's clearly got some ability, won't have cost a lot and won't be on massive wages.

Negatives: prone to the odd brain fart.

However, with some coaching from Dick this could be drilled out of him (cutting out the fancy flicks and dribbling out from the back) so we could have a decent back up option for not a lot of outlay. Let's face it, we need bodies at the back and at least Vergini knows the place and we can be relatively sure of the performance level he can bring.

We could just as easily let him go and spend another £2m on a back up player who is horrifically shite instead.

Daft reason to keep a poor player.
We need better players than Vergini in the squad if we ever want to be more than relegation battlers though. He's nearly 27, unlikely to improve a great deal in the future, only ever performed adequately at best in the league and had a few absolute shockers.
Only positive is that he'd be cheap!

doesnt matter what JOS, Brown etc have done, this bloke is a total liability - fkn hell man, 23 seconds in to game at Palace and he launches in to a tackle like that - should have gone and game was over which in the end we won 3-1. OG V Soton unforgivably ludicrous and that back heel - I mean which daft knacker would try that in a game of such magnitude. Cant be trusted defensively do let him go NOW
You have came up with three instances, two which didn't cost us anything, I can name 3 each for Wes and JOS that did cost us and a myriad of near misses ! Like I said it's pointless him being here and costing us money if he's not going to get a game, he'll end up on loan at some Spanish/S.American club, with us paying half his wages more than likely (Sunderland must be the only club who don't want players AS they are signing them !)

Daft reason to keep a poor player.
We need better players than Vergini in the squad if we ever want to be more than relegation battlers though. He's nearly 27, unlikely to improve a great deal in the future, only ever performed adequately at best in the league and had a few absolute shockers.
Only positive is that he'd be cheap!

There are 6 or 7 ahead of him that we should be looking to move on, we can't ship all out and all in in one window.

Positives......won't have cost a lot and won't be on massive wages.

This is what's wrong with our football club.....no matter how shit a player is it seems that a case can be made out for him because "we need bodies" or "he's decent back-up" or "there's a player in there"......and if they cost nowt and we pay them nowt then it's worth a punt.

Lads, we really need to do exactly what Advocaat asked us to do.....give him 5 or 6 first team ready players....not build a squad of squad players.

This is what's wrong with our football club.....no matter how shit a player is it seems that a case can be made out for him because "we need bodies" or "he's decent back-up" or "there's a player in there"......and if they cost nowt and we pay them nowt then it's worth a punt.

Lads, we really need to do exactly what Advocaat asked us to do.....give him 5 or 6 first team ready players....not build a squad of squad players.
We are seemingly stuck with him. We could be stuck with someone who cost a lot more and is a lot worse.

What else do you advocate? We need cover in defence, we haven't enough bodies. We can't plug all the gaps all over the pitch with 5-6 players. We needed at least four for defence just for parity.

If we end up keeping him he could do a job as a holding midfielder with a bit of coaching.

Why would we want to even try that though?

Why would we want to take someone who isn't good enough defensively to play centre back, and isn't good enough on the ball to play full back, who clearly doesn't understand the game in this country or his own limitations, and try and coach him to play in a position he has never played in before, in a position where the first name on our teamsheet plays, who has just been given a 5 year contract?

Why would we want to even try that though?

Why would we want to take someone who isn't good enough defensively to play centre back, and isn't good enough on the ball to play full back, who clearly doesn't understand the game in this country or his own limitations, and try and coach him to play in a position he has never played in before, in a position where the first name on our teamsheet plays, who has just been given a 5 year contract?

He's been good enough in both positions often enough to warrant keeping him on, otherwise he'd have been away at the end of last season. Converting him would save us money in a position we need to cover (assuming Bridcutt will be away) due to Cattermole's usual absences, and also put him in a position on the pitch where his lapses wouldn't be so costly.

As bad as our 'brilliant or shite and no middle ground' attitude is the complete failure to make the best of what we have.

Everyone is down on Vergini and bigging up Coates, but there are a lot of similarities.

They both had poor first seasons on loan with a couple of good games at the end resulting in a clamour to sign them.

If you can be happy about one there's every reason to be happy about the other.

Biggest difference for me is the way they both deal with defenders running at them. Vergini every time jumps two footed into a tackle. It's scary to watch. Coates doesn't panic like him. Basically I wouldn't want Vergini in the center of my defence, and I don't think he is good enough a right back to claim that position. Could possibly have a future as a defensive midfielder if anyone was willing to take the risk, but I wouldn't want it to be us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back