Being a meat eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think at some point you have to take a step back and realise that yes, we're 'top' of the food chain so to speak but we also have the self-awareness and understanding to not be total shits about it.
I'm not being a total shit about it, I like meat, it has to be killed to be eaten.

Does it ever make you feel guilty? A lot of animals suffer and die for our food industry. It's horrendous. Things like male chicks being chucked in a blender because they wont ever lay eggs so there's no point keeping them alive. I couldnt give it up as being vegan seems like a hassle but I do feel guilty now and then. Thoughts?

I literally googled it, hit the first link, it was this

Yes, I often feel bad for eating meat.

I'm not being a total shit about it, I like meat, it has to be killed to be eaten.

I'm not calling you a total shit.

I'm saying we have a responsibility to the animals we rear for food. Yes, they wouldn't be alive if they weren't being reared for food but that doesn't abrogate our responsibility for their welfare.

If people can't afford to buy meat with assured welfare standards then perhaps they should question whether or not meat should be more of a luxury item that they eat less often. We don't need to eat meat as much as we do.

I'm saying we have a responsibility to the animals we rear for food. Yes, they wouldn't be alive if they weren't being reared for food but that doesn't abrogate our responsibility for their welfare.

If people can't afford to buy meat with assured welfare standards then perhaps they should question whether or not meat should be more of a luxury item that they eat less often. We don't need to eat meat as much as we do.
Very true, I try to do my bit to ensure its ethically sourced etc.

You're spot on. We, on average, eat far more meat than we need.

The cost-based crap that drives far too much of our supermarket purchasing is a cancer on society.

I don't advocate mistreatment of animals in the slightest. I eat meat that was born to die, and hopefully killed in the most humane way possible.

I know that bad things happen, its wrong but it won't stop me eating meat Phil.

Sort of agree with that viewpoint. I'm comfortable eating meat that has been raised ethically and cleanly (i.e. no antibiotics or growth hormones fed to the animals). Always buy meat from a quality local butcher who can show where it came from. We eat far less meat than we used to. It's not good for you to eat too much meat. We never waste meat either.

All these people that cry on about not being able to afford organically raised free range chickens instead of the cheap muck in the supermarkets.

1) you don't have to eat meat every day
2) you shouldn't waste it like cutting off the fillet from a chicken and binning the rest. A whole chicken can provide meals for a week.
3) quality meat isn't cheap, it's a luxury.

Sort of agree with that viewpoint. I'm comfortable eating meat that has been raised ethically and cleanly (i.e. no antibiotics or growth hormones fed to the animals). Always buy meat from a quality local butcher who can show where it came from. We eat far less meat than we used to. It's not good for you to eat too much meat. We never waste meat either.

All these people that cry on about not being able to afford organically raised free range chickens instead of the cheap muck in the supermarkets.

1) you don't have to eat meat every day
2) you shouldn't waste it like cutting off the fillet from a chicken and binning the rest. A whole chicken can provide meals for a week.
3) quality meat isn't cheap, it's a luxury.

I'd hope that if an animal was sick it was treated appropriately.

I used to be very heavily interested in the meat production industry and heard cases of organic producers keeping animals alive who were sick but refusing to treat them for ideological reasons.

Would you eat a dog?

I think this is a good question, why do we see some protein sources as food and not others, if we ate seagulls, pigeons, dogs and cats we'd also contribute to a better Britain by ridding it of pests, we should also eat more insects but culturally we stick our noses up at such things, when we shouldn't imo.

Does it ever make you feel guilty? A lot of animals suffer and die for our food industry. It's horrendous. Things like male chicks being chucked in a blender because they wont ever lay eggs so there's no point keeping them alive. I couldnt give it up as being vegan seems like a hassle but I do feel guilty now and then. Thoughts?

Thats put a thought into my mind that i doubt i'll ever erase.

Yes,mostly Lamb.Why do they look to totally cute,cuddly and harmless,and taste so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back