How long until fans turn on Poyet?

• Thread starter Deleted member 35145
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the first callers into BBC Newcastle yesterday was adamant that Poyet should go now.
Without a doubt the correct & right time, apparently.

The fact he admitted to being restricted to watching the match on text commentary (whilst at work) kind of negated his opinion, mind.

Poyets approach yesterday suggested that he had no confidence we could beat an unconvincing Arsenal side. All we aspired to was a 0-0 and Browns error blew a massive hole in that. I know the hammering we took at St Mary's would have dented confidence but we had a week to work on that and get them up for giving it a go but motd called it right we lacked the courage to attack them.
We got exactly what we deserved yesterday and unless we show some attacking intent against Palace and Everton I can see swathes of the crowd losing patience with the managers and players.

Said it before he's so far out of his depth he's drowning. But his ego tells him he's stood on a puddle
tidied

Perhaps we should get a manager that's actually won the premiership, like that Wilkinson lad he's got a track record at this level.
Come on man you're better than this aren't you? Which do you think has a better chance of success, somebody who has the experience or somebody who has none? Nothing is ever guaranteed. Pun not intended.

have a look at the sides that have lost by 8 or more goals in the premier league and the current manager status
Is Malcolm Crosby still alive?

Last edited:
Poyet needs to realise we haven't got the players to play the system he wants.

His substitutions have been an absolute joke all season.

Get beat next week playing the same formation and I can see a good few turning.
what choice does he have with shit options on bench

Its the players who should feel the heat and wrath......Bruces Losers....and we all know who they are....remain as the common denominator in the demise of the last 2 managers.....Poyet is heading at break-neck speed toward becoming the third

Its the players who should feel the heat and wrath......Bruces Losers....and we all know who they are....remain as the common denominator in the demise of the last 2 managers.....Poyet is heading at break-neck speed toward becoming the third

Is Larsson included in that set of players? The Larsson who had his contract extended?

Who else would you include? People usually had Gardner as the prime example.

I don't think the fans will turn, not openly anyhow.

Everyone is pissed off and sick of the shite that is endlessly served up but everyone's accepted it now. It's par for the course.

The budget isn't big enough, the signings aren't good enough. We don't have the quality and the upper management don't seem to give a shite.

They're far more comfortable running concerts, holidaying in Africa (pre-ebola), talking about the foundation of light and any other thing that doesn't benefit the actual team which is ultimately what the club is supposed to be about.

When O’Neill left he had 31 points from his last 31 games

When Bruce left he had 21 points from his last 27 games

Poyet has 22 points from his last 23 games.

Another 3 games without a win and the fans will start to turn imo. Hopefully Short will have learnt that hiring and firing makes little difference in the long term, and instead of spending on changing managers he should make money available for better players.
So he already has 1 point more than Bruce had with 4 games in hand (might not sound a lot but considering where in the league we've spent the vast majority of time over the last 4 managers' collective tenure, thats pretty big margins).

I think that most fans have now come to a point where they would be happy with a point per game ratio as we had under MON, his biggest problem was that the peak of his bad run (3 points from 8 games) came right at the business end of the season. Even if Gus doesn't pick up 9 points from the next 8 games (which I think he probably can) people will be less twitchy because we have 21 games of the season left, not 6. And if We do pick up 9 points from the next 8 games (Crystal Palace(a), Everton(h), Leicester(a), Chelsea(h), Man City(h), Liverpool(a), West Ham(h), Newcastle(a)) it would leave us on 17 points after 17 games, which traditionally leaves you 15th, which wouldn't be a position we'd sack Gus from.

The biggest downfall for both MON and Bruce was the amount of money they spent. Although Gus has had two windows now, and his own signing (Bridcutt, Scocco, Buckley) have looked poor, they are not an expensive flop as say a Graham or Gardner. Our big money signings now are signed by someone else which deflects the blame slightly from Gus' door.

Already have turned on him, well a large majority it seems, embarrassing!
Large majority? I'd say a large majority was 70%+. I wouldn't say over 70% of Sunderland want Gus sacked now. A small minority (10%-20%), yes, but not a large majority.

If Wickham had not found form (by fluke) at the end of last season, he would already be gone.
People need to remember this. It was a complete freak event. Thats why not resigning/replacing Borini, clearing out all depth (average as it was) and not strengthen in key areas this summer was so concerning. I'd say 28 out 38 games last season we looked like a Championship side. Wickham going on that run of form was an act of god. Not taking advantage of that and failing to strengthen this summer was an act of stupidity.

Last edited:
instead of spending on changing managers he should make money available for better players.

I agree that hiring and firing has got us nowhere but unfortunately previous managers have wasted too much of Short's money. Bruce and O'Neill had a good budget and wasted it in the main. Poyet is paying for that now. We need a real vision rather than the scattergun approach to signings that we have had for probably my entire life.

Poyet as much to blame as anyone today. Another game where we didn't have a plan B and continued to pass sideways.
How the fuck is Poyet to blame for two mistakes on the pitch? Did he have a remote control in his hand in the technical area controlling Brown or Vergini/Vito? Get a grip lad.

Here's a wild thought - give him time and money to see what he can do.

And no, he hasn't had enough time yet, considering most of the squad jumped ship in the summer. He's had a pre-season and 9 league games with a full squad to play with. Most of those 9 games weren't all that bad. Played well, defended well but just couldn't score which was due to naivety in the transfer window with putting all his eggs in one basket. I'm sure things will get better and he won't be as daft in the next two transfer windows. And now after one total disgraceful and embarrassing game and a game where two mistakes cost us a point, people are blaming Poyet and calling for his head. :rolleyes:

I didn't realise we'd turned into mags.

When O’Neill left he had 31 points from his last 31 games

When Bruce left he had 21 points from his last 27 games

Poyet has 22 points from his last 23 games.

Another 3 games without a win and the fans will start to turn imo. Hopefully Short will have learnt that hiring and firing makes little difference in the long term, and instead of spending on changing managers he should make money available for better players.

01st November; after our next loss at Palace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back