How much does the Fulham game mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would happily take a defeat if we then went on to beat Burnley.

Sadly, I see 2 draws and Gus out on 1st Feb unless he changes his fookin tactics at home and actually tries to win a game

Tell Poyet that.

Setting up "not to lose" is killing us
Think well beat Fulham

come on marra
the league is always what defines you, me us
but over a season your are involved in a few competitions that define you at the end
some can be a springboard.................others a catapult into wet concrete feet
nice friday night after work with more than a few beers
Do we have much chance of winning the cup or going down ??

After tasting Wembley last year, a lot.
It's a bitter fuckin' taste for Sunderland AFC that place. Something must have gone wrong on the 5th May 1973.:lol:

I'd love us to win the cup but if im going to be honest i have very little hope this year. Its always good when a few of the big sides are out by the next round instead they're all in and with fairly easy draws:

Arsenal going to Brighton might be tricky but they should get through
Man United at Cambridge
Liverpool home to Bolton
Man City home to Boro
Spurs home to Leicester

I know Liverpool arent great like but would still like them out. Thats a lot of pretty decent sides almost certain to get through, they might all draw each other next round but i just feel that if we're going to do it we'd have to do it the very hard way. You never know but its hard to be too excited by this tie when you look at whats likely to lie in wait
This has been my thinking too.

Didn't stop me ranting on pissed last week that we're ganna win it like.:lol:

The thread is about choice you berk. The OP says he'd rather we won the cup game because he loves the cup, the first reply to the thread from @Fabulous Falcao states that he has the opposite opinion - he'd rather we got 3 points in the league than progressed in the cup. Both valid opinions.

Do you understand how it works now??
And another one.
Ok let me rephrase that. Anyone who states which they'd prefer is a retard. You could win both, lose both, or any other combination. We don't have a choice and therefore it's utterly pointless to say which you'd prefer.

Ok let me rephrase that. Anyone who states which they'd prefer is a retard. You could win both, lose both, or any other combination. We don't have a choice and therefore it's utterly pointless to say which you'd prefer.

It's a hypothetical situation ffs.

Let's just assume that on a SAFC messageboard everyone wants us to win every match, seeing as we're all Sunderland supporters. Now, bearing that in mind, if you could choose one or the other, which would you prefer?

It's just a bit of fun ffs. Thick as shit some people on here like. :lol:

It's a hypothetical situation ffs.

Let's just assume that on a SAFC messageboard everyone wants us to win every match, seeing as we're all Sunderland supporters. Now, bearing that in mind, if you could choose one or the other, which would you prefer?

It's just a bit of fun ffs. Thick as shit some people on here like. :lol:
If that's your definition of fun you need to get out more, mate!

Great chance for Defoe to get up to match fitness against lower league opposition and to score on his home debut. Bring it on.

Would be gutted if we go out as the draw has been favourable.

However the last 16 is going to be full of PL heavyweights and also mid-table sides who can have a right go at the cup. There's no way we are getting through the next 4 rounds against that lot - last season was a realistic chance of winning the FA cup and we blew it! We've had a couple of QFs in recent seasons and I think that might be that for a number of years now!

However the last 16 is going to be full of PL heavyweights and also mid-table sides who can have a right go at the cup. There's no way we are getting through the next 4 rounds against that lot - last season was a realistic chance of winning the FA cup and we blew it! We've had a couple of QFs in recent seasons and I think that might be that for a number of years now!

To be fair we had two tricky big teams in the League Cup in the later stages and we beat them. We did only play 5 games. But a PL and Championship team also play 5 games in the FA Cup before the final. So if we can do it in the League Cup we can do it in the FA Cup IF we perform as well as we did in the League Cup against Chelsea and Manchester United.

After tasting Wembley last year, a lot.

This, don't know how anyone can't get up for a cup game after that. Anyone with that opinion simply can't have been at Covent Garden the night before, I'd kill to experience that alone again nevermind the experience of playing in Wembley the day after.

I'd give a shit about the final more than tomorrow like.

To give a shit about the final we have to give a shit about tomorrow. To get to the final we have to beat Fulham.

This, don't know how anyone can't get up for a cup game after that. Anyone with that opinion simply can't have been at Covent Garden the night before, I'd kill to experience that alone again nevermind the experience of playing in Wembley the day after.

I wasn't one of the reveler's at Covent Garden but it meant the world to me to be there because I was there. I was experiencing it first hand.

Aye, but if we get beat tomorrow, I won't lose much sleep over it, if we got beat in the QF I'd be much more pissed off.

I see where you are coming from. The old adage "so close yet so far" is particularly pertinent. The further you get the more important it is you get the win because Wembley is mentally in sight. An early elimination means you can just write it off and try again in the next season. But the quality of the opposition I think plays a part and alters things. You can afford to go out early to a big team but not to a smaller team. If Middlesbrough go out against Man City I doubt many Smoggies will care. They won't hold out hope anyway. But if we go out to Fulham there will be hell on here come Sunday.

I see where you are coming from. The old adage "so close yet so far" is particularly pertinent. The further you get the more important it is you get the win because Wembley is mentally in sight. An early elimination means you can just write it off and try again in the next season. But the quality of the opposition I think plays a part and alters things. You can afford to go out early to a big team but not to a smaller team. If Middlesbrough go out against Man City I doubt many Smoggies will care. They won't hold out hope anyway. But if we go out to Fulham there will be hell on here come Sunday.

Agreed mate, I'd prefer to win a cup than stay in the Premier League, yet a cup match doesn't seem as important until later as they all count for nowt unless you win or at least get to Wembley. I think I've been conditioned by the media, the cup used to seem so special, maybe it's because we were shit then and didn't play the big boys every week.

Who youd expect to face in the next round...
Man utd
Swansea (maybe Blackburn like)
City
Cardiff or Reading.
WBA or maybe Brum

Spurs
Preston
Southampton

Chelsea
Derby
Liverpool
West Ham
Villa (maybe Bournemouth)
Stoke.

If we can keep this mental run of being drawn at home up (10 of last 11 draws isn't it?), and despite 1 win in the league at our place, Id fancy our chances at the Sol against the 8 opponents above, the other 8 would be quite a scrap.

Away from home all of these are different prospects altogether, Id write off say Swansea or Southampton away, maybe replays if were solid again.

Need to avoid the big guns then its the last 8, a shoot out for a game down Wembley again, again, preferably at home, we`d more than likely have to pull off a shock like last years league cup quarters/semis. Were capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back