Migrants trying to get here from Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm genuinely puzzled why. What do they think is here that's not in say France or Germany. Have they heard it's the land of milk and honey? Is it family? Do refugees genuinely get more here than elsewhere in Europe? Do they know they can get illegal work. Why would they risk their lives or be so desperate to get here? Genuine question. It's not an attempt to start political arguing.
Listening to a programme on radio 4 and their speaker was sayng Britain is a more forgiving country and they are more likely to be given an opportunity by the establishment and the people. They say Italy has no work and that Germany and France were very hard to get on with the people and would be given no support or very little by the authorities

So given that the vast majority of asylum seekers will have no assets then it is true to say they are given accomodation with all bills paid, free healthcare (including prescriptions, dentistry and spectacles), a cash allowance and free education for children?
How do they pay for their application and appeals process?
It all seems to add up to a fair amount of benefits paid for by uk tax payers.
That's right snd I think it is the right thing to do while they have a claim pending. When people say they don't get benefits it gets confused with the fact they don't have access to the mainstream benefits system.

They will get legal aid for their first claim and first appeal. There is quite a high percentage of succesful first appeals but not for subsequent appeals, so they are unlikely to get legal aid for further appeals. They might get legal to submit further evidence to start a new claim or judicial review but there would have to be some merit for it. They would go onto section 4 support until the Home Office decided there were sufficient grounds to open a fresh claim.

There are an estimated 100,000 people crossing the Mediterranean per year at the minute and about 3,000 in The Jungle in Calais. We're taking a comparatively small hit, they're not all "flocking" here for benefits or houses or any of that shite, the ones that are trying to go the extra mile are most likely coming because they know people who will help them find work. Keep believing the bollocks if you like though.

When their application has been turned down and they are in the appeals process?
After the first appeal if applying for further appeal, if the first appeal is out of time, if they are submitting new evidence to apply to make a new claim, if they are challenging a decision through judicial review, if they have agreed to return home and are making arrangements to do so, if they can't return for medical reasons, if they can't return because there are no safe routes (at the moment the Home Office say there are no countries with no safe routes).

There are an estimated 100,000 people crossing the Mediterranean per year at the minute and about 3,000 in The Jungle in Calais. We're taking a comparatively small hit, they're not all "flocking" here for benefits or houses or any of that shite, the ones that are trying to go the extra mile are most likely coming because they know people who will help them find work. Keep believing the bollocks if you like though.
I will bet my house that 3000 is a bullshit number.

How can they claim asylum if they wont tell them where they have come from ?
They destroy their documents for two reasons: so they can claim to be from an unsafe country where they are not from and to prevent deportation- how can you deport someone if you don't know where they are from?

That's right snd I think it is the right thing to do while they have a claim pending. When people say they don't get benefits it gets confused with the fact they don't have access to the mainstream benefits system.

They will get legal aid for their first claim and first appeal. There is quite a high percentage of succesful first appeals but not for subsequent appeals, so they are unlikely to get legal aid for further appeals. They might get legal to submit further evidence to start a new claim or judicial review but there would have to be some merit for it. They would go onto section 4 support until the Home Office decided there were sufficient grounds to open a fresh claim.
This part of the thread is not about the rights and wrongs of the UK tax payer paying for asylum seekers benefits it is to establish what they get. Some stated they don't get an and then others - @Paddy O'Dors - claimed what people said was not true. I believe we have now established that they get more than most on here assumed.

They destroy their documents for two reasons: so they can claim to be from an unsafe country where they are not from and to prevent deportation- how can you deport someone if you don't know where they are from?
Then they won't make an asylum claim and I would think they'd he held in a detention centre. I have known the Home Office dispute the country of origin based on language analysis or not having credible knowledge of the country and make a claim of where they think the person is from. I don't know what ultimately happened to the people.

This part of the thread is not about the rights and wrongs of the UK tax payer paying for asylum seekers benefits it is to establish what they get. Some stated they don't get an and then others - @Paddy O'Dors - claimed what people said was not true. I believe we have now established that they get more than most on here assumed.
Sorry, I didn't realise there were rules about what each part of the tread is about. I'll try not to state my opinion in a facts only section in the future.

Last edited:
Not really. I'd rather claim asylum in a country I'm in (or indeed one of the 4/5) I've travelled through rather than try to outrun a eurostar. I put some quotes up earlier. They make interesting reading
I haven't read the thread but a few quotes are completely meaningless. The vast majority do claim asylum in other European countries, the question posed in the op was about why some of them (a very small percentage of the total despite what our agenda'd media would have us believe) keep going to the UK. Mostly because they know someone who'll get them jobs cleaning cars or picking fruit rather than our wondrous benefit system.

Then they won't make an asylum claim and I would think they'd he held in a detention centre. I have known the Home Office dispute the country of origin based on language analysis or not having credible knowledge of the country and make a claim of where they think the person is from. I don't know what ultimately happened to the people.

Sorry, I didn't realise there were rules about what each part of the tread is about. I'll try not to state my opinion in a facts only section in the future.
I didn't mean it like that - you make valid points. But it allows the "they can't claim benefits" lot a way out of admitting that they were wrong by changing the argument. You will note that none of them have had the decency to do that.

We can move on to the rights and wrongs of it next!

I didn't mean it like that - you make valid points. But it allows the "they can't claim benefits" lot a way out of admitting that they were wrong by changing the argument. You will note that none of them have had the decency to do that.

We can move on to the rights and wrongs of it next!
Ah right, I have skipped large parts of the thread and missed people saying they don't get benefits except paddy.

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get

more than the locals……..

Healthcare

You may get free National Health Service (NHS) healthcare, eg to see a doctor or get hospital treatment.

You’ll also get:

• free prescriptions for medicine
  • free dental care for your teeth
  • free eyesight tests
  • help paying for glasses
They'll get that through an hc2 cerificate which is issued for 6 months at a time, there can be problems with delays issuing a new certificate after one had expired. It won't be renewed if support is stopped, e.g. after a claim has failed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back