New flights from Newcastle to New York announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

The lack of genuine competition mentioned by @AndrewP is also a point well made, particularly since Delta bought 49% of Virgin Atlantic, which will therefore probably enter Skyteam at some point. Virgin are making a loss and are cutting routes, I wouldn't be surprised to see them taken over by Delta at some point.

They already have antitrust immunity with each other, as does DL with the rest of the Skyteam joint venture. Delta can't own any more than they already do because of foreign ownership restrictions.

30%!!

What reasons are given?
They don't need to give a reason. Operational issues is the norm, but I have no idea what that actually means.

Last week it was weather related. Rerouted three times while still on the ground, got to the end of the runway 90 minutes late, realized there wasn't enough fuel on board so took us to the gate to refuel. Half an hour later they cancelled the flight.

Heh heh you make it sound so easy, not the case mate, who wants to tote bags and shite around the place and then horse back into town if you don't get on the flight.

Fair enough ,it's a good idea, but not as easy and seamless as you describe.[/QUOTE
Can't be done these days apparently after 9/11

Welcome to my world.
Fly AA everywhere now. Best of a bad bunch. Use Virgin America if the route makes sense but I'm usually headed to the arse end of nowhere, via Dallas.

Last time was about 3 years ago and no, not via Dublin or Toronto. since then I've been flying via LHR to my destinations Seattle, LA but mostly Miami, Shit job I've got like!!
I think your memory must be playing tricks on you! Been like this for years!

They don't need to give a reason. Operational issues is the norm, but I have no idea what that actually means.

Last week it was weather related. Rerouted three times while still on the ground, got to the end of the runway 90 minutes late, realized there wasn't enough fuel on board so took us to the gate to refuel. Half an hour later they cancelled the flight.
Crew may have been out of hours by that point. Happened to me out of Toronto. Plane was there, bad weather had subsided, later flights were going close to schedule but they canned mine. Got the last seat on the last flight out that night, five hours later. Spent it in the Molson bar and was absolutely shit faced when I got to board! That was Air Canada, codeshare partners in shitness with United!

Last edited:
Last time was about 3 years ago and no, not via Dublin or Toronto. since then I've been flying via LHR to my destinations Seattle, LA but mostly Miami, Shit job I've got like!!

So most of the time you're not connecting on the U.S. side, which is when this applies. You fly NCL-JFK-MIA, you need to claim and recheck at JFK. You fly NCL-LHR-MIA, you don't because your final destination is your U.S. point of entry.

All U.S. international arrival points require that you claim and re-check if you're connecting to a domestic flight. Not doing so is a violation of federal law, which as been the case for at least 7 or 8 years. The only way around this is to pre-clear US immigration and customs at one of the approved locations for this. The only places with preclearance outside the Americas are Shannon, Dublin, and Abu Dhabi. There are a bunch in Canada and the Caribbean, plus Bermuda. I've made international to domestic connections in all three airports you mentioned within the last three years, and you need to claim and re-check at all of them.

I didn't specifically remember doing so at PHL, so I bothered to check their website, which says "Arriving international passengers who have checked bags and are connecting to flights in Philadelphia must claim their baggage after clearing U.S. Customs and Immigration and re-check their bags for connecting flights."

Last edited:
Fly AA everywhere now. Best of a bad bunch. Use Virgin America if the route makes sense but I'm usually headed to the arse end of nowhere, via Dallas.

I think your memory must be playing tricks on you! Been like this for years!

Crew may have been out of hours by that point. Happened to me out of Toronto. Plane was there, bad weather had subsided, later flights were going close to schedule but they canned mine. Got the last seat on the last flight out that night, five hours later. Spent it in the Molson bar and was absolutely shit faced when I got to board! That was Air Canada, codeshare partners in shitness with United!
It was an Embraer 145 and I was in seat 1A. The pilot had gone to the toilet while we were supposedly refueling. When she came back someone said something to her and she shouted "No, we're not really a ground stop are we? FUCK"

It was an Embraer 145 and I was in seat 1A. The pilot had gone to the toilet while we were supposedly refueling. When she came back someone said something to her and she shouted "No, we're not really a ground stop are we? FUCK"

Well, at least that means you didn't have some fat fuck next to you.

Now I understand. Yes first point of entry in the US, not first stop if outside US. I flew from SYD to JFK via LAX. Same flight number, same plane, same seat. Had to go through passport control, pick up my luggage, immigrate, go through customs in LA and recheck the bag, then reboard the plane.

Oh aye the 145, I was thinking of the bigger 175/195 which have a few rows of forst.

I love 1A on the 145s. A coach seat, sure, but it's both a window and an aisle. Flight takes 5 minutes to board and there aren't any 4'3" women trying to lift 85 pound bags into the overheads while 50 people wait behind them as the overheads can barely fit a standard American fast food meal.

I love 1A on the 145s. A coach seat, sure, but it's both a window and an aisle. Flight takes 5 minutes to board and there aren't any 4'3" women trying to lift 85 pound bags into the overheads while 50 people wait behind them as the overheads can barely fit a standard American fast food meal.
Craic with stewardess facing you for takeoff and landing as well! They're either very young or very old, nothing in between on those short hops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back