"Pre season results don't matter"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is complete bollocks , you have the manager posting his match report saying the result is very disappointing try telling him it means nothing.

Newsflash: We don't get any points for a result. There might be still a couple of signings to come in, and Doncaster will've been up for it, unlike us. I've never seen us go for it 100% in a preseason friendly.

P.S Please refrain from the bad language, you bellend.

Are people really expecting this type of thing to change once the season kicks off? - we've seen it time and time again the past few year.

I think this is the main point why people are so called "bed wetting" and other people are for some reason brushing it under the carpet. Why do people think it's all of a sudden going to change when we have the same core of players that aren't and have proved not to be good enough.

When the season starts, these players aren't all of a sudden going to turn into "quality". They are what we had last season and were shocking. It was clear we needed 4 or 5 to go straight into the starting 11 and we haven't really got that. Coates we already had, Kaboul hopefully will stay fit, Matthews is unproven so that leaves lens who hopefully will be a good premiership player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every shit pre-season is swept away with this line, right until the shit pre-season inevitably gives way to a shit actual season.

We're having a shit pre-season because we can't create chances, can't keep clean sheets and can't score goals. That's because our players are shit and we have - yet again - approached the transfer window like it's a lass at a disco and we're a sweaty virgin.

We've performed triage on a Championship-standard defence and spent real money on Lens. And surprise surprise; we look absolutely shit aside from Lens.

It's the 29th of July. If we want to make to 10 years in the Premier League, we need to stop f***ing about and sign some players who are good enough for the Premier League. Not players who were good enough when Westlife were popular, not good enough in Crete, not good enough when they reach puberty - good enough now.

Here's an idea.

Advocaat seems to know what he wants. How about giving him an iPhone and a chequebook, sending Congerton, Short and all of the other fuckwits out for sandwiches and let an actual football man to sign actual footballers. Tell Advocaat to text Congerton when he's a) finished and b) is ready for his tuna melt.

In 2016 we could finish below Bournemouth. f***ing Bournemouth. Fuck systems. Fuck sporting directors. We need some people who are good at playing football, and we need them now.

We're on a road to nowhere
Come on inside
Takin' that ride to nowhere
We'll take that ride

The pre season results don't phase me, but the lack of purchase power, and ability to land a quality central midfielder is worrying. If this is all our business by the end of the window then we've been terrible in the last 3 summer windows.

It's pointless worrying about something you can't affect
Not so marra. It's perfectly legit for me as a fan to worry that the club are making mistakes, or that the footy won't improve, or we may lose our place in the premiership, or the squad isn't improving.

Yes I personally can't affect policy and performance, but I haven't invested 50 odd years in this club without earning the right to worry about the competence of those who can.

The results in pre-season friendlies don't count that's true, but it's still a game of football played by the team that's going to be playing for real very very soon, and you'd expect to see something that indicates we're almost ready for the coming season. They should have been able to up a gear at will against Doncaster, they should by now know the tactics and game-plays which they'll be using against better teams and we should see some progress from last season. If pre-season is seen by the players and coaches as a bit of a kick around to get the legs working then they're a waste of time and we risk injuries etc for absolutely no reason. It's pointless, let them play our kids at the training ground if it's just fitness, we'd get more from that because we'd see how the kids do against a first team.

When last season ended I saw quite a few people dismissing posters who were worried by saying a good pre-season would sort it all out etc, but it hasn't really done that. I don't care about these results but I did get up at 3 in the morning the other week to watch them play online and their lack of cohesion and commitment was worrying. They looked like strangers but worse, they looked like they couldn't be bothered, like they were thinking about a nice boat trip around a harbour. In any game where a professional team is involved there should at least be some signs that they know what they're doing and so close to a season start this team looks no better than they did last year. I hope it gets sorted out quickly because this year we need to win the (so called) winnable games and a few of them are coming up very soon.

Two premises here. Disagree with the argument but agree with the conclusion.

1) Pre-season results matter. They don't. Seriously. You have no idea how each manager is preparing his players before. We could be killing ourselves with aerobic training and then going into a game basically nackered. We could be experimenting with different tactics. They are absolutely and totally irrelevant.

2). We should be f***ing worried. We should. People slated the Echo's argument the other day but it was totally right. Dick is not a 'magician' - he is a solid, professional manager and we will work bloody hard in every game. But the run that kept us up last year - Southampton, Everton, Arsenal - fuck me!? That was real dig deep and pray football. You couldn't compare it to the previous season; going to Old Trafford and giving United a football lesson etc. The fact is that the midfield - without Ki and (prepares tin hat) Colback is still weaker than that year. Lens looked brilliant, but we still haven't worked out a way to get the best out of Defoe, we totally lack creativity and the defence is mediocre at best (though it won't be that end of the pitch which sends us down, if indeed that's where we're heading). Everyone knows it but I'll say it again: we need at least a central midfielder and striker in order to not struggle. Otherwise - we're in for more of the same.

Congerton and Short need to stop f***ing around.

Two premises here. Disagree with the argument but agree with the conclusion.

1) Pre-season results matter. They don't. Seriously. You have no idea how each manager is preparing his players before. We could be killing ourselves with aerobic training and then going into a game basically nackered. We could be experimenting with different tactics. They are absolutely and totally irrelevant.

2). We should be f***ing worried. We should. People slated the Echo's argument the other day but it was totally right. Dick is not a 'magician' - he is a solid, professional manager and we will work bloody hard in every game. But the run that kept us up last year - Southampton, Everton, Arsenal - fuck me!? That was real dig deep and pray football. You couldn't compare it to the previous season; going to Old Trafford and giving United a football lesson etc. The fact is that the midfield - without Ki and (prepares tin hat) Colback is still weaker than that year. Lens looked brilliant, but we still haven't worked out a way to get the best out of Defoe, we totally lack creativity and the defence is mediocre at best (though it won't be that end of the pitch which sends us down, if indeed that's where we're heading). Everyone knows it but I'll say it again: we need at least a central midfielder and striker in order to not struggle. Otherwise - we're in for more of the same.

Congerton and Short need to stop f***ing around.
Good post.

I'm not worried about the results but I am becoming more and more concerned that we are just the same god awful team that we were last season and the season before that and the.... you get the picture. The same glaringly obvious deficiencies and we can't improve unless some barmpots sign Bridcutt and Buckley. As it stands I think our time is up.

The Op wrote the other day that 2 more signings and the window would receive his seal of approval. Strange that with a month to go he has written the whole thing off.

I'm not worried about the results but I am becoming more and more concerned that we are just the same god awful team that we were last season and the season before that and the.... you get the picture. The same glaringly obvious deficiencies and we can't improve unless some barmpots sign Bridcutt and Buckley. As it stands I think our time is up.
Last night wasn't too bad, Doncaster played with more intensity & won, mainly due to a couple of massive brain fart from Pants, Rodwell & Coates - and also due to us missing a boatload of chances.

Up the intensity & we'll be right.

Last night wasn't too bad, Doncaster played with more intensity & won, mainly due to a couple of massive brain fart from Pants, Rodwell & Coates - and also due to us missing a boatload of chances.

We'll be coming up against much better opposition than Doncaster though. Without an injection of quality, especially in midfield, it's going to be the same old shite. In 4 friendlies against reasonable opposition we've managed 3 goals and failed to score in 2 of them. We've failed to score many in the last couple of seasons. I don't see any reason why that would all change in the next 9 days.

I bet you've said these same words as a precursor for each shit relegation threatened season we've had. There are those fans that blindly follow, without apparently being worried about anything.
I don't follow them blindly, but I don't whinge on like a set of fannies before the season has even started. I argued last season and the season before when we looked doomed that we wouldn't get relegated. People just need to stop whinging on like we are the worst team on the planet. I've supported safc for 30 yrs and 90% of the time wee have had a poor struggling side when in the top flight.

I was right there with you until the 'up the intensity' bit... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back