Resident Mags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle are bottom of the form table. Below QPR and Burnley.

Sunderland fans constantly joke about wanting Ashley to stay their owner, I wonder why that is if you all think he's such a fine owner.

I'd love to see people's opinions on this if it Newcastle weren't our local rivals. They clearly do have a legitimate side to their argument but because of who they are it's being ignored.

Just because Sunderland have been absolutely dogshit for the last couple of seasons doesn't mean Newcastle fans shouldn't be allowed to complain when they come down to our level. We should have been protesting before them ffs.
If Newcastle were not our local rivals I doubt anyone of us would give a flying fuck.

Luckily for teams like Swansea and Southampton their their board, management and players don't give toss about your pecking order. They decided that with a good scouting and youth system coupled up with joined up management they could make a decent fist of the PL instead of wallowing round the lower leagues where your pecking order places them.
Correct the pecking order places them in a group who are challenging for a European place. If we sort our shower of shite out I would expect us to move up the pecking order and challenge for those places.

Before Sky came along the mags were in the pecking order where they are now, when Sky came along they attempted to move up that pecking order by spending millions which worked for a short period of time, the money dried up and therefore they returned to the norm for them previously.

If it wasn't for their mega rich owners Chelsea and Man City would not be at the top of the pecking order they would still be positioned in the league where they were before the respective takeovers. They attract top players that the likes of Swansea and Southampton can't attract because of where they are in the pecking order, we struggle to attract good players because of our recent record, hence we are lower down the pecking order, it really isn't difficult to understand.

If my use of the term " pecking order" upsets you which it clearly does then feel free to fuck off and refrain from commenting.

Correct the pecking order places them in a group who are challenging for a European place. If we sort our shower of shite out I would expect us to move up the pecking order and challenge for those places.

Before Sky came along the mags were in the pecking order where they are now, when Sky came along they attempted to move up that pecking order by spending millions which worked for a short period of time, the money dried up and therefore they returned to the norm for them previously.

If it wasn't for their mega rich owners Chelsea and Man City would not be at the top of the pecking order they would still be positioned in the league where they were before the respective takeovers. They attract top players that the likes of Swansea and Southampton can't attract because of where they are in the pecking order, we struggle to attract good players because of our recent record, hence we are lower down the pecking order, it really isn't difficult to understand.

If my use of the term " pecking order" upsets you which it clearly does then feel free to fuck off and refrain from commenting.
In your original post you used the term 'the norm'. What is our norm?

In your original post you used the term 'the norm'. What is our norm?
For a start I was speaking about the mags and you got sand in your fanny about it, for the record our norm is battling around the relegation zone with the odd flirt with a top 10 finish.

History tells us that that is the norm for SAFC unless you can show me evidence to the contrary. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we branded a yo-yo club in the not to distant past?

You brought up our 6 league titles which we are rightly proud of, would you suggest this is the norm?

For a start I was speaking about the mags and you got sand in your fanny about it, for the record our norm is battling around the relegation zone with the odd flirt with a top 10 finish.

History tells us that that is the norm for SAFC unless you can show me evidence to the contrary. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we branded a yo-yo club in the not to distant past?

You brought up our 6 league titles which we are rightly proud of, would you suggest this is the norm?
Pre war we finished in the top 3 18 times more than any other club.
Maybe that's our 'norm'.
Maybe us being a yo-yo club is abnormal.

'The likes' of Swansea and Southampton both sold their best players when the more illustrious clubs came calling, which is exactly what Newcastle have done and is one of the reasons the fans are up in arms. In fact, the mags were bragging about their scouting network not so long ago, which kept unearthing unknown French internationals. I would say Southampton and Swansea's philosophy is very similar to Newcastle's, I.e. scout good young players for cheap, then sell them when they get a silly bid. It's just currently the two former clubs are doing slightly better this season. In fact didn't Newcastle finish above Swansea last season?

Pre war we finished in the top 3 18 times more than any other club.
Maybe that's our 'norm'.
Maybe us being a yo-yo club is abnormal.
:lol: Class mate.

'The likes' of Swansea and Southampton both sold their best players when the more illustrious clubs came calling, which is exactly what Newcastle have done and is one of the reasons the fans are up in arms. In fact, the mags were bragging about their scouting network not so long ago, which kept unearthing unknown French internationals. I would say Southampton and Swansea's philosophy is very similar to Newcastle's, I.e. scout good young players for cheap, then sell them when they get a silly bid. It's just currently the two former clubs are doing slightly better this season. In fact didn't Newcastle finish above Swansea last season?
They did, two places wasn't it? My op was about the mags but some how @Qwerty has took offence to this.

Last edited:
You have to get the balance right between ambition and realism. Tbf, perhaps the reason we've had it shite over the years is because people are happy just to accept it.

The other week when we were 4-0 down at HT to Villa I heard "This isn't even bad I was here when we were in the 3rd division" I hate that attitude.

Good man, what is your opinion on what is the norm for SAFC and the mags?

My only reason for asking as in my time finishing in the top 3 has never been the norm.
I don't believe teams have 'a norm'.
They can have fantastic, good, indifferent, poor or terrible spells.
Admittedly you would have to be the wrong side of 90 to remember the last fantastic spell but they have happened.
My argument is even if you, I or anybody we know hasn't experienced we would still want it and keep putting the pressure on whoever is in power, manages or plays for the club to improve.
If we ever sit back and accept that it's 'the norm ' to be a yo-yo club we may as well find something else to do.

I don't believe teams have 'a norm'.
They can have fantastic, good, indifferent, poor or terrible spells.
Admittedly you would have to be the wrong side of 90 to remember the last fantastic spell but they have happened.
My argument is even if you, I or anybody we know hasn't experienced we would still want it and keep putting the pressure on whoever is in power, manages or plays for the club to improve.
If we ever sit back and accept that it's 'the norm ' to be a yo-yo club we may as well find something else to do.
I've never experienced it but by fuck do I want the best for us. My argument is unfortunately that there is a norm in this day and age, the top 4 are simply that, Man Utd have struggled the past couple of years which to me is not their normal league position. You then have the next few teams who fight for European places and then you have our mini league. I'm not saying I find this acceptable but due to financial constraints amongst other things this is where we are.

I've never experienced it but by fuck do I want the best for us. My argument is unfortunately that there is a norm in this day and age, the top 4 are simply that, Man Utd have struggled the past couple of years which to me is not their normal league position. You then have the next few teams who fight for European places and then you have our mini league. I'm not saying I find this acceptable but due to financial constraints amongst other things this is where we are.
Circumstances may change. Football might finally eat itself and if it does I believe we along with a few others will be a beneficiary of it. Not saying I've got the answers but I'll never accept our current position.
Enjoyed our little debate, I can tell you're a genuine fella.
Need to go,bye for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back