The Beatles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A young lad by the name of Elvis Aaron Presley might come close like, or so I heard some Wise Men Say

I did think Elvis as I posted. While I don't mind a bit of Elvis all his stuff was spoon fed to him and in reality he is just a bloody good singer of other peoples stuff. An old x factor type singer...

Those who write and perform are in a different field IMHO.

In Britain you could probably include the take that bibliography. Gary Barlows stuff will be played for years and instantly recognisable

I did think Elvis as I posted. While I don't mind a bit of Elvis all his stuff was spoon fed to him and in reality he is just a bloody good singer of other peoples stuff. An old x factor type singer...

Those who write and perform are in a different field IMHO.

In Britain you could probably include the take that bibliography. Gary Barlows stuff will be played for years and instantly recognisable
discography, ya twonk :lol:

I never quite understand why Sgt. Pepper's gets the high praise it does. Years ago I had a conversation with some guys that liked to think they were up on their music, and they were trotting out how Sgt. Pepper's was the best the Beatles had ever done. I asked them what songs were on that album. "Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Magical Mystery Tour..." i.e. a load of songs that people associate with the trippy LSD era but are not actually on the record. It has a couple of great tracks, 'A Day in the Life' being an absolutely stunning production and song, the 'Lovely Rita' and 'Fixing a hole' showed Paul McCartney's first signs of drifting out into his cow field territory where he writes some very pretty songs. McCartney's bass playing is outstanding across the album, and Ringo's work is first rate. But it has some utter dogs as well. 'Getting Better' is just an ear ache, and 'Within you Without you', was an unnecessary indulgence and bore to keep George Harrison happy. I like 'Good Morning', but it is a second or third rate song by the Beatles standards, and the Anthology 2 version without the vocal dubs or effects dubs is better than the Sgt. Pepper's version.

For me, the real greatest Beatles record will always be 'Rubber Soul'. The songs were outstanding and fantastically produced without the studio tricks they later relied on. The only slightly weaker song on the record is 'What goes on', but everything else is outstanding, and it perfectly represents the halfway point of the band, with a lot of the energy and exuberance of their earlier material, but with some of the more far out invention of their later work. But it is all kept in check.

I agree, Sgt Pepper is definitely overrated.

Whilst I love the later stuff, the 64-66 period is my favourite. It was just chock full of great songs rather than some of the sound collages and nursery rhynes that started punctuating their later work. My favourite album is A Hard Day's Night, just great tune after tune.

Take that certainly in UK.

While spice girls were huge phenonomen I don't thing there is more than 3 songs that jump out as memorable which in reality puts them in the same catagory as Frankie goes to hollywood

And don't forget Take That and the Spice Girls mainly sing other people's songs. Despite Gary Barlow's alleged pop writing skills, most Take That songs are collaborations with professional songwriters.

And don't forget Take That and the Spice Girls mainly sing other people's songs. Despite Gary Barlow's alleged pop writing skills, most Take That songs are collaborations with professional songwriters.

Gary is a prolific writer.. During the down days of take that he,was writing songs for other people. He is bound to work with others but don't take away from what he has wrote

Brian Epstein was the manager of a record shop in Liverpool. To compare him with Simon Cowell is utter nonsense. Also, the Beatles gigged solidly for two years before Epstein even took them on. Served their time if you like.

The old "The Beatles were a boyband" cliche is extremely lazy and badly thought out.

I was trying to post something almost exactly like this when my PC conked out last night. I would probably just add that they had established their reputation in Liverpool, Germany and the rest of the UK with their live performances at the point they became massive. It was the strength of their second single and their first album, bolstered by the years of solid ground work that made them break so fantastically.

Just come back from Liverpool, don't know what they would do without the Beatles to sell just about everything. :lol:

Just come back from Liverpool, don't know what they would do without the Beatles to sell just about everything. :lol:

Apart from Mathew Street I've never heard a single Beatles song being played in any bars/pubs. Round there is obviously a different story though.

I know a few really top notch musicians who just hate listening to the Beatles. They appreciate the songwriting, but I think for some people with really sharp ears, they do come across as a bit sloppy in their recorded material. It does not help that they recorded a lot of their early stuff on machines that tended to struggle to keep their speed, mainly because of the variable nature of the power supplies going into Abbey Road at the time. As a result, some of the dubs, particularly with pre-tuned instruments like keyboards, do make them sound a tiny bit out of tune.

The Beatles had to contend quite a bit with that tape speed problem in their early days. I've heard an session tape where the tape speed suddenly increased in the middle of a take, so on playback it suddenly gets slower and the pitch drops. I guess the street lights had come on at that moment or something. I guess most people had to deal with that sort of thing at that time though.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

About what??? The 60's was riddled with f***ing great stuff. The Beatles had the backing of the Simon Cowell of their day. They invented fuck all...
Oh dear

Overrated. Some great songs but also some utter shite ones.
What ones are the utter shit ones mate?

Last edited:
Tremendous, Groundbreaking etc. but so were many others of their time in their own way.
Why not just enjoy what we enjoy and not make comparisons?
My kids idolise The Libertines, can't see it myself but over the moon that they're buzzing.
Exactly, it's a generation thing isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back