Three Weaker Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firstly, i class Gus as our manager for last season.
We're slightly stronger in the goalkeeper department but that will only become obvious with injuries.
Agree about getting rid of the cheap dross but we don't know which of the new batch will be termed cheap dross yet.

We're short of Borini, Ki, Colback, Alonso and Bardsley. All of those had an impact on our season and not all have been replaced to the required standard. So in terms of the first team we're slightly behind. There is a bit of the transfer window left but as things stand we aren't even level with last year, never mind ahead.
Can't get away from the tone that was set by DiCanio in the first 8 games last season though - so we are stronger for management.
Ki, Colback, Alonso and Bardsley have all been adequately replaced. We are weaker without Borini (we need pace and drive up front, and I expect us to get that before the end of the month) but a season of the new Wickham (if he's real) should make us a bit stronger up top too. We're weaker at the back, because our slow and/or fragile CBs are a year older - and that needs to be addressed immediately imho.

Is piston still arguing the toss on this. He's a persistent git, I'll give him that :lol:

Relentless.
I've had to fend off half a dozen or so irate posters.
A very hard fought 100 post thread. Wish i'd just took the easy option now and just fired up a Borini or Colback blockbuster.

Can't get away from the tone that was set by DiCanio in the first 8 games last season though - so we are stronger for management.
Ki, Colback, Alonso and Bardsley have all been adequately replaced. We are weaker without Borini (we need pace and drive up front, and I expect us to get that before the end of the month) but a season of the new Wickham (if he's real) should make us a bit stronger up top too. We're weaker at the back, because our slow and/or fragile CBs are a year older - and that needs to be addressed immediately imho.

You're right about the CB's being older, i didn't even touch on that for fear of starting a riot. The natives were already getting restless so i just put Brown and O'Shea as like for like. One day that won't be so.

I don't think both Ki and Colback have been adequately replace. One of them probably have but not both. I'd say Ki has a unique style so we lack the good stuff he brings. We should get by without the hustle and bustle of Colback.

Anyway, i'm still convinced the best of last year's squad is better than the best of this year's current squad but it could, and should all change soon.

Last edited:
Stats have been provided for the tallest and the heaviest teams in the league, why not the weakest? Arm wrestling to award a bonus point in the event of a draw will provide the half time entertainment

I actually agree with the OP that on paper we are a tad weaker. But we aren't finished yet in the market and our first 11 is as good. I'd rather have a Ki on a permanent than Rodwell

I have and they are astute signings, along with Lascelles who I am amazed has gone to the mags.

You've changed your tune a bit haven't you, all doom and gloom about 2 weeks ago saying we were in trouble, to now saying that the team has 'great chemistry' under Gus. You bipolar or something?

I said I didn't think the transfer window had went well at that present time and I still don't. I do however think we have a better team than those mentioned on the list.

Interesting point. Though I understand where you're coming from, in practical terms the league table after 38 games does tell you pretty much everything.

If you believe that you're naive. It gives you a strong indication of about where a team are, no more.

The 11th best team don't always finish 11th etc.

You're in the "too good to go down" looney space there, mind ;)

:lol: I see where you're coming from, but this is a different concept.

Stats have been provided for the tallest and the heaviest teams in the league, why not the weakest? Arm wrestling to award a bonus point in the event of a draw will provide the half time entertainment

If you ever come up with a concept to calculate this, I'd love to see it. You can be quite sure that the strongest team won't always finish top, and the weakest at the bottom.

If you believe that you're naive. It gives you a strong indication of about where a team are, no more.

The 11th best team don't always finish 11th etc.
How else would you judge how good a team is? The team that finishes 11th is the 11th best team over the season, surely?

WBA, Palace, Burnley are weaker than us. Palace would have been fine with Pulis.

We're stronger than Leicester too, but they'll have that bounce. QPR.....well depends how they perform.

WBA, Palace, Burnley are weaker than us. Palace would have been fine with Pulis.

We're stronger than Leicester too, but they'll have that bounce. QPR.....well depends how they perform.
Burnley at this current moment have the worst squad in premier league history IMO.

How else would you judge how good a team is? The team that finishes 11th is the 11th best team over the season, surely?

It gives you the best indication, but it's not an exact science. If you could somehow have the same teams with the same players, staff, fixtures etc. over consecutive seasons, they wouldn't all finish in exactly the same positions each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back