UK ordered to pay £1.7bn more to EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should tell the EU to stick it, call their bluff. What can they do really?
From what I read seems like our marvellous leaders have caused this in the rush to have an apparent £65bn boost to the economic figures. Accounting methods due to change in 2016, were introduced here this year and so Eu find we are very much better off in comparison to others, hence the bill. Hope Dave and Gideon enjoyed their moment of success as its gonna cost us £1.7bn.

It's not something I would like to find out tbh.
I have been delivering steel in various forms for the last 12 months and it is frightening how much work Nissan alone provides nationwide, and that's before you get the other non European manufacturers Caterpillar etc?
Our Steel is made by an Indian based company that is struggling to make a profit.
A reasonable percentage of our workforce is non English European I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they upped sticks and moved the whole lot to Eastern Europe followed by the steel industry and all the bits inbetween.
This is only speculation by me but if it did happen the results for the little bit of manufacturing left in this country would be catastrophic.

just wondering if we left the eu, nearly all the energy companies are owned by european firms, they could charge anything and we would have no comeback. edf is a prime example, run by the state, ironically against tory principles, yet guaranteed 30 odd billion by dave and george for building a power station. this of course helps the french people
They can do that now?

The EU will become a failed state. We'd be better off out of it.

Have you weighed up much evidence, given a lot of thought to your decision? Is it based on economic factors, how our manufacturing industries would rise to the challenge? In short, could you pad your view out a little Davey?

Forgive me for being a tad suspicious here, it's just almost every argument I see on here revolves around "Foreigners". If they're not writing our laws they're invading our shores, taking our jobs, stealing our benefits, crippling our NHS.

Have you weighed up much evidence, given a lot of thought to your decision? Is it based on economic factors, how our manufacturing industries would rise to the challenge? In short, could you pad your view out a little Davey?

Forgive me for being a tad suspicious here, it's just almost every argument I see on here revolves around "Foreigners". If they're not writing our laws they're invading our shores, taking our jobs, stealing our benefits, crippling our NHS.
It's certainly not anything to do with your second paragraph, or anything at all to do with immigration either. I am enjoying a glass of red and the tele at the minute Nemo so can't adequately focus *Edit: be bothered to explain in detail at this time a post that would do your question justice *on why I've came to my opinion but when the next thread / opportunity on here to comment comes I will do

It's certainly not anything to do with your second paragraph, or anything at all to do with immigration either. I am enjoying a glass of red and the tele at the minute Nemo so can't adequately focus *Edit: be bothered to explain in detail at this time a post that would do your question justice *on why I've came to my opinion but when the next thread / opportunity on here to comment comes I will do

Fine marra. Enjoy your evening.

And you've got it in one. We've been lied to for decades by successive governments regarding this cabal, and we've finally had enough. Their lies are coming back to bite them on the arse.

Ted Heath gave us a vote on joining the Common Market without revealing it was really a forerunner of the United States of Europe governed from Brussels.Politicians of all Parties(Apart from UKIP) have been lying ever since.

So hold on here..this revised estimate is now based on our economy which includes the black market of prostitution and drugs ??:lol:

Open question above Shack. Feel free to lay out your case. Convince me.

Could write a book on the negative factors, but briefly it's plain to see that in its present form it's an inefficient, wasteful, self serving undemocratic club trying to wetnurse far too many lame ducks to ever succeed in the very much mistaken belief that it can become a United States of Europe.
As a result it's becoming ever increasingly less competitive when compared with various emerging economies Worldwide.
I don't believe anyone in the UK, politician or otherwise ever wished or intended for it to turn into the 27 headed complex,unmanageable, monstrosity that exists today.
If we pulled out I have no doubt that our trade with Eu countries would continue as normal as they need us far more than we need them and we would not be hog tied with so many ridiculous rules regulations and expenses.
Oh and it would be nice to have our territorial fishing waters back as well.
A major income boost once they've recovered from the disastrous Eu policies and plundering by every cowboy fisherman in Europe.

From what I read seems like our marvellous leaders have caused this in the rush to have an apparent £65bn boost to the economic figures. Accounting methods due to change in 2016, were introduced here this year and so Eu find we are very much better off in comparison to others, hence the bill. Hope Dave and Gideon enjoyed their moment of success as its gonna cost us £1.7bn.
glad labour gave us a vote on it .. er hang on they love the EU

Erm which of these are they not doing ?

they do put a massive strain on the nhs , especially in london but i will balance that with the amount of foriegn workers in the hospitals and gp surgeries down here

i do think the nhs employs a lot of sub standard nurses from abroad with dubious qualifications and attitudes to care. seen it with my own eyes in hospitals down here. thats not to say there arent shite british born nhs workers, but different cultures have different attitudes in some respects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could write a book on the negative factors, but briefly it's plain to see that in its present form it's an inefficient, wasteful, self serving undemocratic club trying to wetnurse far too many lame ducks to ever succeed in the very much mistaken belief that it can become a United States of Europe.
As a result it's becoming ever increasingly less competitive when compared with various emerging economies Worldwide.
I don't believe anyone in the UK, politician or otherwise ever wished or intended for it to turn into the 27 headed complex,unmanageable, monstrosity that exists today.
If we pulled out I have no doubt that our trade with Eu countries would continue as normal as they need us far more than we need them and we would not be hog tied with so many ridiculous rules regulations and expenses.
A major income boost once they've recovered from the disastrous Eu policies and plundering by every cowboy fisherman in Europe.

Best post on this thread.

way to go :cool:

It was supposed to be something different a few decades ago and several treaties back, you have no doubt and it would be nice?. Is that it? Your book wouldn't trouble the publishers Len. :lol:

Less competitive is more solid but by what measure? As a collective they have lower growth than many emerging nations, but as mature economies that much should be a given. How do they fare as individual nations, or against similar trading blocks? What could we expect to happen after a withdrawal.?I don't know, do you? Mind, by all accounts we're flying, so why fix something that isn't broken eh.

Erm which of these are they not doing ?

Read it again. They could be doing them all. I was hoping someone could craft a compelling economic/good for business argument, backed by sound reasoning and numbers and stuff.

Last edited:
There will only be one winner in that one and it won't be a country on the periphery of European economics or politics.
The UK is Germany's biggest trading partner by some way and the balance is around 50 billion in Germany's favour. Of course the Germans will be happy to risk this.

eu need us more than we need it - we are one of the major net contributors

just hope if we ever do get a in / out referendum it isn't fixed in favour of staying in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back