What's the hardest thing you've ever done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

When I had my jaw broken in 5 places I had it wired together for 4 months, literally lived on cold liquids, mainly Frijj, cold soup and Coke. Lost 3 stone and it was absolute torture. The day I got them out (which fuckin nacked !!) my mam made me mashed potato and gravy for tea and to this day it's still the most enjoyable meal I've ever had !

How on Earth do you break your jaw in 5 places? Ride at full pelt without a crash-helmet on a Suzuki Hayabusa into a 600 ton steel block?

Every job has its negatives...I'm teaching in Primary and it doesn't seem to have the same level of staffing crisis etc than secondary.

Plus I think it depends what you compare it to, I left the police in Glasgow which was absolutely brutal. As long as no one is trying to stab me, I'm not working 12 hour shifts on christmas day/new years eve, I'm not stood out in the rain for hours on end, I'm not dealing with dead bodies, people covered in blood etc.

Compared to that I really enjoy it :lol:

I agree it depends from which job you've come from, but I guess at the moment you have the enthusiasm that most primary teachers had at the beginning of their training. All of those good, honest intentions of wanting to make a difference and enjoying helping children- which of course are very honourable and admirable.

Unfortunately that enthusiasm is beaten out of most teachers fairly quickly. At the moment , as you mentioned you were training, I am assuming you're not teaching full time hours and only have to really plan and mark. On top of that trainees aren't really accountable for the education of the kids in the same way a class teacher is. Plus trainees, certainly early on in their training, don't have to deal with a lot of the extra, time-consuming and morale-sucking duties a fully employed teacher does.

Around 60% of primary teachers still leave within the first 5 years. There's not really that much of a shortage to train new primary teachers, but most don't stay in the job. It's just there's a never ending conveyor belt of fresh, innocent teachers to take the places of the ones who are burnt out. The big problem in primary will come when the numbers on training courses start to drop dramatically. And they are beginning to fall now.

I don't want to sound negative, just realistic, once you start your first job you'll unfortunately have to endure the shit storm that will almost certainly come your way.

Walking away from being an emotional hostage to a lass that i felt was the best thing to ever happen to me.
Luckily i keep my cards close to my chest, tell my family nowt until anything is serious but i just couldnt cope with the endless fighting and threats of suicide if i went, in the end i had to get away, she is doing well now thankfully, she was unwilling to get help but she has sought it now and is with someone i know will treat her right, better than i ever could.

Hard to do but threats and demands do not form the basis of a healthy relationship.
Well done lad , I had similar but without the suicide threats, that must be really awful . Like you I thought I'd really found "the one ", a proper wad anarl. Then she turns out to be crackers . Terribly sad .

I'm a wuss, total wuss. Toady I nearly quit my teaching course. I've been talked around (for now) by uni, but it's mental the workload. Has got me thinking what is the hardest thing people have done on here? Could be physical or mental?

Don't panic. Put up with the hard work now and you'll be on easy street for the rest of your career.

13 weeks holiday and 6 hours days.

Yikes same with my Dad, never leaves you. Learning to walk again was hard.
I don't know what was worse for me on that day. Actually seeing him have a heart attack in the ground on derby day when my adrenaline was through the roof to begin with, or listening to the conversation between my uncle and my mam saying that he was going to die. Some things will never leave you. Nothing will ever come close to that.

I don't know what was worse for me on that day. Actually seeing him have a heart attack in the ground on derby day when my adrenaline was through the roof to begin with, or listening to the conversation between my uncle and my mam saying that he was going to die. Some things will never leave you. Nothing will ever come close to that.
For me it was noise of the machine that they attached to do the chest compressions man.
I was in the street 2 months later and an air brake or something made a similar noise and I just folded where I stood, it was like I was there again.
Two words for anyone who sees any trauma, get help. Seriously even if you don't think you need to, get help.

My first ever night shift. It was so strange and odd having to work in hours I have never worked before on account I have never been awake at that time. Being at work when everyone else was asleep.

Running, or I should really write 'completing', a marathon. It was some old wifey in my lane giving out the medals. I gave her a massive kiss and hug. I doubt she got much of that from 30-year younger blokes in her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back