Why do people get tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a few tattoos but won't get our lass' name put on.

Been married 15 years and she's always nagging me to get it done.

I just gave in with the 2nd one tbh. Got hannah tattooed when i was younger (about 19) and pissed. Met Kate 18 months ago and she hated the hannah tattoo (used to bite it and scratch it and stuff). Wanted a Sunderland badge but couldnt get it (apparently the black on the original would show through) so my lass said that if i loved her as much as my ex i should get her name. I was enjoying the sex so i just said okay.

Need to stay with her now because this one is bigger and cant really be covered. Bit of a risk getting it 2 months into the relationship really but we've got a bairn together now and we're quite settled so fingers crossed!

Cos they're cool as fuck!

For me it's very simple...I like tattoos, I find the fact you can have very intricate art permanently drawn on your skin fascinating. I also think they're a good way of having significant parts of your life permanently commemorated although I know that isn't everyones reason for getting a tattoo.

It is mostly because I'm cool as fuck tho.

Sorry but if you can't remember your child's name and date of birth you don't deserve have kids.

This follow the crowd/fashion/what someone else thinks thing is nonsense, the same would apply for those without......

I think people either like them or not. I have a couple myself (which IMHO are fairly tasteful) I can't imagine anyone getting a tattoo if at the time, did not like tattoos. I don't brand tattoos as a whole, there are different types, I'm personally not a fan of any name tattoos, flowers on lower backs or those tribal tattoos but each to their own, I like something a little artistic and unique to a person or sentimental (I know a name could be sentimental but its not my cup of tea)...

I feel it the same as hanging a piece of art in your house, only its on your body, you wouldn't put it there if you thought it was shit.... But it still goes with fashion trends, I doubt the art in your house today is anything like that of 50 years ago.

Got nothing against them personally though I wouldn't ever consider one and it would be a bit daft as I am old and wrinkly anyway. I wonder though if this is a current fashion thing for many people which will fade away over the years and they could spend a lot of years regretting choices they made in their youth. If that happens no doubt there will be a boom industry in tattoo removal (can you get them removed successfully?)

Sorry but if you can't remember your child's name and date of birth you don't deserve have kids.
Like I said, I like tattoos, understand why they do it..... Just would do it myself, it seems tacky but that's just my opinion of course

Got nothing against them personally though I wouldn't ever consider one and it would be a bit daft as I am old and wrinkly anyway. I wonder though if this is a current fashion thing for many people which will fade away over the years and they could spend a lot of years regretting choices they made in their youth. If that happens no doubt there will be a boom industry in tattoo removal (can you get them removed successfully?)
Yes but tends to be very uncomfortable. More so than the application.

This follow the crowd/fashion/what someone else thinks thing is nonsense, the same would apply for those without......

I think people either like them or not. I have a couple myself (which IMHO are fairly tasteful) I can't imagine anyone getting a tattoo if at the time, did not like tattoos. I don't brand tattoos as a whole, there are different types, I'm personally not a fan of any name tattoos, flowers on lower backs or those tribal tattoos but each to their own, I like something a little artistic and unique to a person or sentimental (I know a name could be sentimental but its not my cup of tea)...

I feel it the same as hanging a piece of art in your house, only its on your body, you wouldn't put it there if you thought it was shit.... But it still goes with fashion trends, I doubt the art in your house today is anything like that of 50 years ago.

The killer difference is you can't get rid of a tattoo easily.

I've worn shit clothes before, that I can laugh about as they most likely sit festering in an Oxfam somewhere. A tattoo more than likely stays with you, unless you can afford to get it removed.

They've always been fashionable to some extent, tbf. Butterfly's, dolphins, barbed wire in the 90s. tribal in the noughties. Now it appears to be sleeves, and I've recently noticed a lot of hand tattoos on bearded hipsters. God knows why you'd want tattoos you can't cover up when you're in your twenties. .

I don't have any but don't like or dislike them really, I'm very indifferent to them but lately you see lots of lads with these sleeve tattoos. Are tattoos a fashion thing, do they make you more masculine? If you have one , what was your reason for getting it?

I reckon they get tattoos done because they like them and think they look cool.

That's down to thinking others think the same, you probably look like a twat. :lol:
:lol:

Correct but that's the point isn't it. Self confidence. If someone says I look a twat I may rethink my wardrobe and lose some self confidence. What do I do when they tell me my Bart Simpson with a joint tat is shite :(

I've considered it but there's never been anything that I want to permanently etch on my skin.

Plus I've always thought that I'd make a great secret agent as I don't have any distinguishing features, to be fair I don't have many redeeming features.

I think that those ear gap things are worse than tattoos but each to their own. I s'pose that in this day and age you cannot be discriminated against in job interviews for having a beard, wearing a checked shirt and brown brogues whilst being covered in tattoos and piercings and having holes in your lug lobes. How times change!

I just gave in with the 2nd one tbh. Got hannah tattooed when i was younger (about 19) and pissed. Met Kate 18 months ago and she hated the hannah tattoo (used to bite it and scratch it and stuff). Wanted a Sunderland badge but couldnt get it (apparently the black on the original would show through) so my lass said that if i loved her as much as my ex i should get her name. I was enjoying the sex so i just said okay.

Need to stay with her now because this one is bigger and cant really be covered. Bit of a risk getting it 2 months into the relationship really but we've got a bairn together now and we're quite settled so fingers crossed!

:lol:

I reckon it's only the business of the person getting one, too many "oh you shouldn't do that" nowadays, if I want to spend money I've earned on a tattoo that's my business.

I have a big piece on my thigh and I'm getting a full sleeve started soon, other people's opinions don't bother me in the slightest though.

I reckon it's only the business of the person getting one, too many "oh you shouldn't do that" nowadays, if I want to spend money I've earned on a tattoo that's my business.

I have a big piece on my thigh and I'm getting a full sleeve started soon, other people's opinions don't bother me in the slightest though.

If you got married would you choose a long or short sleeved dress?

No idea until I'm wedding dress shopping, I'd go for a dress I liked.

OK. On a recent episode of "Don't tell the bride" a quite attractive woman had a series of tattoos on her arm and wore a wedding dress to show them off.

It's obviously a personal choice and her happiness was paramount but I wonder if she will feel differently in 10, 20, 30 years time when fashions have changed.

Cheers.

You have quite thin arms do you not? It'll look like someone's attacked you with a pack of crayolas.
Why don't you get one of these
Logon or register to see this image

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back