Why do people get tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older people with tattoos look f***ing class

Logon or register to see this image

Can't wait me like

A lot of people on threads like this seem to confuse people who get shite, generic tattoos with those serious about them and who pay good money to be tattooed by top 'artists'.

I agree, barbed wire, tribal, names etc are absolutely terrible in the main but I've seen some amazing work, and had some done on myself, that is more than just getting something done for the sake of it.

But that's the great thing about human nature. We all have different tastes and it makes the life the varied wonder that it is.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

The work I've had done so far means absolutely fuck all to anyone. I understand people who don't like tattoos and I understand people who want them to have meaning, I on the other hand have them cos they look pretty and I want them (yes I'm actually that shallow).

Reading this thread makes me laugh, the levels of judgement and intolerance are ridiculous.

How is it the saying goes? Something like, " The only difference between people with tattoos and people without is that we don't judge you for not having tattoos".

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

The work I've had done so far means absolutely fuck all to anyone. I understand people who don't like tattoos and I understand people who want them to have meaning, I on the other hand have them cos they look pretty and I want them (yes I'm actually that shallow).

Reading this thread makes me laugh, the levels of judgement and intolerance are ridiculous.

How is it the saying goes? Something like, " The only difference between people with tattoos and people without is that we don't judge you for not having tattoos".
Actually this thread is not all judgmental slanging. There is an interesting discussion to be had as they are now just so prevalent. It is the fashion now but fashions change. If you grew up in the 70s there some major league embarrassing photos about. It would suggest that there are 2 distinct elements to tattoo wearers - those following the latest fashion and those who have a somewhat stronger reason. I would imagine the former is the larger group. Those just following fashion are in danger of making quite a mistake. I have heard people saying that it expresses their individuality when in reality they are individuals expressing a desire to conform to the latest fashion.

Oooh look at me I'm ever so individual with my arm full of childlike scrawlings in an attempt to look like king of the chavs David Beckham. Oh no I'm not because every other fucker has got one too. Baaaaaaaahhhhh!

Oooh look at me I'm ever so individual with my arm full of childlike scrawlings in an attempt to look like king of the chavs David Beckham. Oh no I'm not because every other fucker has got one too. Baaaaaaaahhhhh!

Seen it mentioned a few times on here but tbh ive never once heard anyone with a "fashion led" tattoo claim anything about it showing their "individuality", seems to be a made up idea on here to knock people with. I dont have such a tattoo but those that do seem to get them because, well, they want them and think they look good, not because they think it expresses anything deep about their individuality, but crack on anyway

There's going to be some ugly OAPs in a few years. Care homes will be like Polynesian day-care centres.

Don't have one myself, but always puzzled by this argument against tattoos, as if without tattoos, OAPs would be pretty f***ing hot.

If everything sags and droops and you have no teeth and no hair where you should and bushes of it sprouting where you shouldn't and your ear lobes and scrotum are in a competition to see which can touch your knees first, I'm not sure a tattoo or two will be spoiling your looks.

I always said I'd never get a tattoo. Then I went on holiday with the lads and woke up with a lasses name tattoo on my leg. Canny big as well. Luckily it was our lasses name. Could have ended very badly as I don't remember getting it done.

A great way of expressing your individuality by being like all the other sheep.

There's going to be some ugly OAPs in a few years. Care homes will be like Polynesian day-care centres.
I don't know if you're aware but old people are ugly regardless of whether they have tattoos or not.

Actually this thread is not all judgmental slanging. There is an interesting discussion to be had as they are now just so prevalent. It is the fashion now but fashions change. If you grew up in the 70s there some major league embarrassing photos about. It would suggest that there are 2 distinct elements to tattoo wearers - those following the latest fashion and those who have a somewhat stronger reason. I would imagine the former is the larger group. Those just following fashion are in danger of making quite a mistake. I have heard people saying that it expresses their individuality when in reality they are individuals expressing a desire to conform to the latest fashion.
You're spot on, some people get them because they're the in thing but that certainly doesn't cover everyone. The fashion will fade in time and numerous studios will close down but there will still be an awful lot of people getting tattood, it's been going on for centuries so I can't see it stopping any time soon.

You're spot on, some people get them because they're the in thing but that certainly doesn't cover everyone. The fashion will fade in time and numerous studios will close down but there will still be an awful lot of people getting tattood, it's been going on for centuries so I can't see it stopping any time soon.
Fully agree with you. I wouldn't be surprised to see a back lash/going out of fashion over the next few years or decade but I'm sure there will always be work for a good tattooist.

Seen it mentioned a few times on here but tbh ive never once heard anyone with a "fashion led" tattoo claim anything about it showing their "individuality", seems to be a made up idea on here to knock people with. I dont have such a tattoo but those that do seem to get them because, well, they want them and think they look good, not because they think it expresses anything deep about their individuality, but crack on anyway

So how come everybody who has a full sleeve is a bit of a balloon and probably currently sporting a beard?

No idea mate, but i dont think being a balloon is linked to trying to show your individuality so im not entirely sure how it relates to my post!

What I'm trying to say is its funny how it's only the last few years that they've become commonplace and the only kind of people who have them are sheep who dress the same as everyone else.

What I'm trying to say is its funny how it's only the last few years that they've become commonplace and the only kind of people who have them are sheep who dress the same as everyone else.

Ah, fair enough. Well id agree with you but id say that the people who get them are doing it because they like them and want to follow the trend, as opposed to doing it because they think they are being individual

Ah, fair enough. Well id agree with you but id say that the people who get them are doing it because they like them and want to follow the trend, as opposed to doing it because they think they are being individual

I'm sick of seeing koi carp, angels and distorted babies faces on fuckwits' arms like and don't get me started about names in script writing on people's necks

I like tatoos, don't have one cos I don't know what I want one of but I do like em, my wife has several, but either way I really don't get why people who don't like have such an issue. Do they get confused by people who wear colorful clothes as well? People get tattoos cos they want to, same as the way people by blue trainers because they want blue trainers. Yes tattoos are permanent without expensive removal but this isn't exactly a secret, it's not like people are unaware of this when making their decision.

They're more in trend at present so there's more people doing it who would otherwise have been inclined to do so 3 years ago, but that's just fashion innit

To be fair I reckon a lot of people get tattoos now because they're a fashion statement.

It always seems to be the same stuff:

Japanese/Chinese/Arabic etc some bullshit nobody understands for the sole purpose that someone will ask them what it means so they can say "Oh well it's really cool, it means "Divine Ascendance" when it actual fact it probably means "Look how much of a bellend I am" in whatever dead language it's in.
Tribal scribbles.
Cartoon versions of proper old school tattoos.

I have an old Sunderland badge on my right arm because I know I love SAFC and always will. I want to get more but I want to be absolutely sure I won't regret my choices later in life so I just have the one at the moment.

To be fair I reckon a lot of people get tattoos now because they're a fashion statement.

It always seems to be the same stuff:

Japanese/Chinese/Arabic etc some bullshit nobody understands for the sole purpose that someone will ask them what it means so they can say "Oh well it's really cool, it means "Divine Ascendance" when it actual fact it probably means "Look how much of a bellend I am" in whatever dead language it's in.
Tribal scribbles.
Cartoon versions of proper old school tattoos.

I have an old Sunderland badge on my right arm because I know I love SAFC and always will. I want to get more but I want to be absolutely sure I won't regret my choices later in life so I just have the one at the moment.

Must admit i want the badge like. Always wanted one arm for family (got me lasses name, will get my sons at some point) and one for football so i want an safc badge (either current, ship or both) and an england tattoo (probably the lions cos i love lions). Need to get round to it at some point, im just nervous because if it looks shit i'll be gutted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back