Policing at the Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah - I remember witnessing some people giving Bally grief for a little bit, before he was a legend and when pretty much everyone got stick from the stands at some point or another, I remember it because every time it happened, me Dad sitting next to me would call them worse than shite for it, it was only really on here that people were offended by it, and it was an era in which many of the people ridiculing it were babies or not even born at the time.

It was a secondary point in an article praising a Sunderland player to the hilt, but I had the sheer temerity to publish it in a 'mag rag', so everyone got all upset about it accusing me of being a sell-out, probably sucking Lee Ryder off, and almost certainly not a Sunderland fan at all and instead just pretending to be my whole life to work up to this one horrifying moment of wretched betrayal. It was all pretty funny really.

Anyway, useful info from the Police, like. Certainly seem sincere in their planning. Hope they have it right, but I suppose time will tell.

They said they don't want to tell landlords etc what to do and restrict anyone's trade. Land lords may decide themselves they don't want the bother and will be careful about who they let in, but doubt they'll turn away business. Can only take the Police at their word, but they certainly seemed sincere.

IF anything happens, it's their plan that will come under scrutiny, in fairness. Hopefully all will be safe and sound though.

Not looking to join a witch-hunt but NOT vitriol raining down from the stands, then? Every player who has ever player for a professional club (in my lifetime) will have taken stick at some point. Admit you got a bit carried away and it would probably be forgotten about already.

Not looking to join a witch-hunt but NOT vitriol raining down from the stands, then? Every player who has ever player for a professional club (in my lifetime) will have taken stick at some point. Admit you got a bit carried away and it would probably be forgotten about already.
exactly

I can identify with that . I give, I get.
Seemingly though, one side is often missed.
look , we've had it out on a number of occasions, but its been man to man, you give it, expect it back, but phone work/police etc is an ultimate act of cowardice

someone made a complaint to the NSPCC about me and my kids, they were obliged to call the police who then came round, fortunately i know the local police and they knew it was bollocks, they looked at a threat made to me earlier that day by said poster then contacted the NSPCC who investigated as they take malicious complaints very seriously, we know who did it

Jesus Christ. What's wrong with people?

It's an interesting point, and one I accept. Could I have written it better? Absolutely. There isn't a single thing I've ever written, and I'm well into my thousands now for published work, that I've thought I 100% nailed. 'Vitriol raining down from the stands' was dramatic prose, but it's open to interpretation. I wasn't trying to say that Kevin Ball was ever a prolonged hate-figure at Sunderland and I never did day that.Back in the day, without internet and technology to spread sentiment, abuse from the terraces tended to be quite fleeting, far more spontaneous, and often quite localised depending on where you were in the ground.

I absolutely stand by my memory and I clearly remember a spell when Kevin Ball was unpopular and drew angry, often hostile reactions during games shortly after he had been moved into midfield.

However, I do accept that it could have been phrased better. In all honesty, the anecdote was used as a vehicle to emphasise the main point of the piece, which was to draw comparisons between Seb Larsson's adaptation and evolution into a central midfield player of genuine influence and Kevin Ball's similar journey. So, in that regard, yes, the language was more dramatic than it would have been otherwise. There is a balance to be found with these things between the object of the piece and the emphasis of the anecdote that underlines it, and I probably misjudged that one. Not by much, mind you, but sufficiently to skewer the read.

Of course, this isn't anything I've not tried to explain before, so I reject your premise that it would have been forgotten about. Certain people on this message board - and I'll stress that here and members from here is the only place I've encountered anger and outrage of any kind on the piece - will only accept one explanation from me, even to the point where they will hijack a thread about supporter safety, which is: 'I deliberately lied to make Sunderland fans look bad to the Newcastle newspaper I've sold-out to'. Until they get that explanation, which they won't because it's fundamentally untrue in every regard, they'll continue to hurl abuse. That's their issue, though, not mine.

It's an interesting point, and one I accept. Could I have written it better? Absolutely. There isn't a single thing I've ever written, and I'm well into my thousands now for published work, that I've thought I 100% nailed. 'Vitriol raining down from the stands' was dramatic prose, but it's open to interpretation. I wasn't trying to say that Kevin Ball was ever a prolonged hate-figure at Sunderland and I never did day that.Back in the day, without internet and technology to spread sentiment, abuse from the terraces tended to be quite fleeting, far more spontaneous, and often quite localised depending on where you were in the ground.

I absolutely stand by my memory and I clearly remember a spell when Kevin Ball was unpopular and drew angry, often hostile reactions during games shortly after he had been moved into midfield.

However, I do accept that it could have been phrased better. In all honesty, the anecdote was used as a vehicle to emphasise the main point of the piece, which was to draw comparisons between Seb Larsson's adaptation and evolution into a central midfield player of genuine influence and Kevin Ball's similar journey. So, in that regard, yes, the language was more dramatic than it would have been otherwise. There is a balance to be found with these things between the object of the piece and the emphasis of the anecdote that underlines it, and I probably misjudged that one. Not by much, mind you, but sufficiently to skewer the read.

Of course, this isn't anything I've not tried to explain before, so I reject your premise that it would have been forgotten about. Certain people on this message board - and I'll stress that here and members from here is the only place I've encountered anger and outrage of any kind on the piece - will only accept one explanation from me, even to the point where they will hijack a thread about supporter safety, which is: 'I deliberately lied to make Sunderland fans look bad to the Newcastle newspaper I've sold-out to'. Until they get that explanation, which they won't because it's fundamentally untrue in every regard, they'll continue to hurl abuse. That's their issue, though, not mine.
Fucked if I'm reading that

ffs that's appalling, what goes through these peoples minds to do that
Cowardice

You just lied.

Yes, you did. That's exactly what you said:

Fact is, for a couple of years between switching positions from centre back to central midfield, Ball was a deeply unpopular figure on the Roker Park terraces.
At times, the vitriol that rained down on the former Portsmouth man when he misplaced a simple pass or got caught needlessly dallying on the ball trying to sort out his feet was brutal. Sunderland were, at the time, perpetual strugglers, and Ball was almost latched onto as a scapegoat for it.

You are a liar and now you are lying about your lies.

Comparing Ball to Larsson is a truly weird thing to do in the first place, but nobody gives a shit about the rest of the piece, it's the lies about us and Kevin Ball.

Sol Campbell lied about Sunderland fans, what you did is exactly the same.

"Love it when people mock my stutter trying to belittle me. Stutter made me learn new ways to communicate, which gave me a career/life I love"

Taken from twitter of fishface

So what is it? Offended or not ?

Politicians answer that, mate.... But maybe you feel you have to be as a published writer who also posts on here. I only commented as I've enjoyed reading your stuff before. I'm not interested in tit-for-tat responses.. you have responded, which is enough for me, but I'd definitely disagree with the bit about your misjudgement being minor.

Politicians answer that, mate.... But maybe you feel you have to be as a published writer who also posts on here. I only commented as I've enjoyed reading your stuff before. I'm not interested in tit-for-tat responses.. you have responded, which is enough for me, but I'd definitely disagree with the bit about your misjudgement being minor.

He is too arrogant to accept the truth here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back