Who was the last top centre midfielder to play for SAFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how you view the role of a centre midfielder...a few saying Cana and even one for Ball - effort and heart above ability and technique. Then to the other extreme with Ki who while being probably the most technically gifted passer we've had in a long time display no heart and minimal effort.

Loved Reyna, Zenden and Schwarz but we didn't see the best of them. Eric Waaa was a personal favourite of mine.

But Don was most complete for me. And true to form we misused him!

loved eric roy me, a cool head in midfield - his wiki page doesn't do him justice like:

Éric Serge Roy (born 26 September 1967 in Nice) is a retired French footballer and former manager of OGC Nice.
Career
During his spell in England with Sunderland, he scored once, in a 5–0 win over Walsall in the League Cup.

They've gone well over the top there :p

Reyna for me. When he played he was immense. Wish we could have had him earlier in career and not when he was older and starting to struggle with injuries.

Was he fuk couldn't even run every free kick hit the wall
Your a massive fart in a spacesuit you like, is no one allowed to have an opinion, fair enough you didn't like the guy but i think a good few of us realise that he was class, now go off and play with your play dough you've only got 5 weeks of your holidays left till ya back at school.

Schwarz was class. After that I'm struggling to think of anyone as good.

Hutchinson maybe, Rayner maybe.

Would say zenden but, although still quality, past his best for us.

Steed goes in the hutch bracket, Hendo now would be up with Schwarz but when he played for us he was very good and lots of potential but not a top player at that stage by the standards I'm judging him by.

Zenden and Schwarz were to all intents and purposes finished by the time they got here.
Zenden was a bit part player and while he showed the odd nice touch, he'sd lost whatever pace he had and he was unable to go for a full 90 minutes.
Schwarz had injury problems and also fell out with reid and it shows given the time he was here, some nice touches but again his best years well behind him
Cana was a defensive midfielder, not a creative bone in his body and it says it all that Meyler was keeping him before a season expired
Hutchison I'd class as a player with guile but not really top

I always liked eric roy, but he was another that reid fell out with . He oozed class etc, maybe lacked a bit of pace.
Reyna was good but made of balsa wood unfortunately

Sad indictment all in all
The myth that meyler was keeping him out gets used a lot on here. Cana was injured and Meyler came in and did a job. For most of the time Meyler was "keeping him out," Cana wasn't available for selection and stayed in afterwards because he was in good form while Cana was injured.

Depends on how you view the role of a centre midfielder...a few saying Cana and even one for Ball - effort and heart above ability and technique. Then to the other extreme with Ki who while being probably the most technically gifted passer we've had in a long time display no heart and minimal effort.

Loved Reyna, Zenden and Schwarz but we didn't see the best of them. Eric Waaa was a personal favourite of mine.

But Don was most complete for me. And true to form we misused him!
How? we needed a right winger and he did a job there...

if you mean by selling him however, I am in complete agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back