Moments in life that shaped the rest of your whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

My first husband did off with someone else and left me aged 25 with two pre-school children. I was shocked and scared and didn't think I could manage on my own. So I did a tandem parachute jump. My theory was if I could throw myself out of a plane at 10,000 feet, then I could do anything. It gave me confidence and I managed just fine!

Probably a life shaper was seeing people far less well off than anybody in the UK whilst travelling through SE Asia, they had so little on occasion - made me realise how bloody lucky we are in this country to have things like healthcare, water, sewage systems etc that I thought I'd never moan about anything again in the UK. Can't say I never moan but I'm definitely not the aquisitive type. Doesn't bother me about (not) having the "luxuries" in life. Because I have - if that makes sense.

Watching the 1973 Cup Final on the telly with Mum and when Porterfield scored I fell into a deep pit of love with this extraordinary game.
Being taken to Much Ado About Nothing with Donald Sinden and Judy Dench at the Theatre Royal. I fell into another deep pit, this one of wonder.
Borrowing a cassette tape of Handel's Ode for St Cecelia's Day from Newcastle Central Library and listening to it on my walkman going home and nearly falling off my seat on the metro. No deep pits this time, just felt like I'd been hit from on high by something God was hoying about or summat. Well you did ask.
Deciding to come on here.
Deciding to go along to a do @Muppet was organising even though I'd never met her - I'm a lucky lady for the friendships that have grown from that.
A couple of personal moments I'm not sharing with you nosy buggers.
I'll second that. :)

Deciding to study in Edinburgh.
Deciding to move to New York, even though is just bought a house.
Deciding not to move toHouston
Deciding to move to London instead of Perth or back to Edinburgh.

All of the above decisions I can look back on and wonder where I'd be now, career and life-wise. I wouldn't haven't Mr Bells, I might not be in banking, I'd be a totally different person.

Deciding to watch wolves Sunderland on the telly in the Haymarket Sports bar that might an meeting Muppet, Sheps and Epps for the first time.

Deciding to visit the pyramids after years of wanting to but not being "allowed".

Going to uni, everything that's good in my life has came from that one decision. Crazy when I think about it.
Similar for me.

I was no dunce but certainly an under-achiever in the sixth form, too busy night clubbing, drinking and chasing bewers etc. With very dodgy A level results I got an interview at Carnegie and the course leader took a chance on me doing well. From that I was able to spend three summers in America coaching footy, then applied to graduate school here and have been here half my life now. None of this would have happened if he hadn't took a chance.

He was a great bloke and much admired by the students. We stayed in contact since then and he and his daughter came to my wedding in 2012, his first time in America. A few months later he emailed me saying he had stomach cancer and he died soon after. Just goes to show the influence one person can have on another's life, sometimes in an idle moment I wonder where I'd be if I hadn't got in.

Getting finished when i came out of my time ...... no job, so came down to London for six weeks. Thirty years later !!

Losing the 5:1 game. Worse than the Gillingham and Charlton games for how much it hurt.
I've never been and never will be as bothered since over the scoreline of a game of footy.
Even Saturdays shambles was met with a shrug of the shoulders and a couple of "useless tossers" mumblings.

Another moment is when my only buck made me into a man.:cool:

Tidied to make it more truthful...;)

As for me it was more circumstances out of my control. In 1989 I was in the army and training for a role in NI. I was part of a platoon that was split into teams of four. As teams and as a platoon we socialized quite a bit. Anyway one Friday or Saturday we all hit Colchester (based there) and were enjoying ourselves as normal when some lad decided to have a go at us "squaddies taking the piss etc etc.". So one of the four man teams decided to teach him a lesson by grabbing hold of him, throwing him into the boot of a car, driving him to the other side of Ipswich then giving him a few punches for good measure and letting him make his own way back.
At the time I'm sure they all thought it was funny. Typical forces humour of 'if I think it's funny then everyone else will.' The bloke didn't. He went to the police and the four lads all got arrested, charged and convicted and sent to prison. The thing is, had I have been part of that team, then I would undoubtedly have taken part and my life would have taken a completely different turn.
As it was, it made me think about my actions and consequences. I met the future Mrs EJK a year or so later, eventually left the army, joined the cops and in 2007 emigrated to Australia. And generally life has been pretty good. None of which I would have done had I been put in that team.

So long story short, you're just a throw of the dice away from being convicted for extreme bullying, and now you're a copper. I for one am shocked! Shocked I tell ya!:D

So long story short, you're just a throw of the dice away from being convicted for extreme bullying, and now you're a copper. I for one am shocked! Shocked I tell ya!:D
Kidnap and assault to be exact.....stood me in good stead when I applied to the cops like...:)

Probably joining the Army in 1989, would probably have been stuck in a dead end job in the same place with the same routine otherwise, been fortunate enough to do a fair bit of travel on the back of this, however on the downside when I do return to the UK I never seem to be able to settle for long:lol:

Tidied to make it more truthful...;)

As for me it was more circumstances out of my control. In 1989 I was in the army and training for a role in NI. I was part of a platoon that was split into teams of four. As teams and as a platoon we socialized quite a bit. Anyway one Friday or Saturday we all hit Colchester (based there) and were enjoying ourselves as normal when some lad decided to have a go at us "squaddies taking the piss etc etc.". So one of the four man teams decided to teach him a lesson by grabbing hold of him, throwing him into the boot of a car, driving him to the other side of Ipswich then giving him a few punches for good measure and letting him make his own way back.
At the time I'm sure they all thought it was funny. Typical forces humour of 'if I think it's funny then everyone else will.' The bloke didn't. He went to the police and the four lads all got arrested, charged and convicted and sent to prison. The thing is, had I have been part of that team, then I would undoubtedly have taken part and my life would have taken a completely different turn.
As it was, it made me think about my actions and consequences. I met the future Mrs EJK a year or so later, eventually left the army, joined the cops and in 2007 emigrated to Australia. And generally life has been pretty good. None of which I would have done had I been put in that team.
ACAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back