Moments in life that shaped the rest of your whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visiting Ypres and the Somme battlegrounds, menin gate, tynecot cemetery and so on changed me.

Also passing my tests for the army then to have a letter sent out to say I could not sign up because of a certain reason, which lead me at 18-19 into a dark hole in a dead end job worst time of my life that. Then one day I stopped taking the shite the doc gave me and dusted myself off and picked myself up

Visiting Ypres and the Somme battlegrounds, menin gate, tynecot cemetery and so on changed me.

Also passing my tests for the army then to have a letter sent out to say I could not sign up because of a certain reason, which lead me at 18-19 into a dark hole in a dead end job worst time of my life that. Then one day I stopped taking the shite the doc gave me and dusted myself off and picked myself up
Reason being?

The birth of my first child. It may sound cliched but Ive never felt the same since she was born. In one minute I can still feel the change that it made to me.

The wife went to shower off, the midwife handed her to me and left the room, I remember just standing there in darkened room, holding her and staring at her on my own, suddenly life had a completely new meaning for me and it changed me forever.

Someone saying to me " this world and many of the people in it can crucify you mate , but there is no need to knock the nails in yourself "

Mine was when the chemistry teacher in my first lesson cut off a bit of his lab coat and hoyed it into some concentrated acid. "Nowt happening man sir" (we were always polite). In silence he puts his hand up as if to say "Ah, just wait" then adds a single drop of water. Woosh... within seconds it has turned to a black mush. He simply added, to end that part of the lesson, "That's why we don't fanny around with acid". 25 pairs of eyes lit up in absolute attention and wonder. In just a few seconds of visual he'd got a message through to a group of kids in a fairly rough comprehensive in struggling area that might have taken 2 or 3 lessons of reading books or being lectured to.

Years later I tracked him down and he was head at an even rougher County Durham comp. The small pharma company I was working for at the time had been taken over a few years back by one of the Big Boys and now it was the time to asset strip the IP and close the company. So I (perfectly legally - all signed off etc) took up for him a top of the range stereo microscope worth over 20 clem. Also packed the car with lab coats, glassware, gloves, disposables and loads of other lab equipment. When I explained to him that he alone had inspired me to work hard, take chemistry degrees and try to carve out some sort of career in science because of his lesson he was almost in tears and said that hearing stuff like that, as a teacher, is worth more than any monetary reward.

When he gave me a tour of the school and we walked into the science labs the class were using those single lens 20 quid microscopes. Most of them had bits missing. The science teacher nearly creamed himself when he saw the kit we'd brought in for him. A few days later I sent them up some pre-prepared slides. Stuff like insect parts and red blood cells of all different species etc. If using the kit inspired just one of that class to go into science then it was worth all the effort of arranging, delivering and installing.

Failing my PGCE. I wouldn't have ever been here without that.

Waking up hungover, lonely as fuck and miserable and deciding to swallow my pride and 'just have a look' on an online dating site, not realising I'd be messaging the future wife a few minutes later.

Failing my PGCE. I wouldn't have ever been here without that.

Waking up hungover, lonely as fuck and miserable and deciding to swallow my pride and 'just have a look' on an online dating site, not realising I'd be messaging the future wife a few minutes later.
My mate telling me about a date she's had with a decent bloke on a dating site. Had a look at that site and 3.5 years later I'm stuck with Mr Bells. ;)

Often wonder about life's little coincidences like that. If she'd not been on that site, would I have gone on it, or a different site? How different would life be. As Peachy said, the Butterfly Effect is quite strange when you think about it.

My mate telling me about a date she's had with a decent bloke on a dating site. Had a look at that site and 3.5 years later I'm stuck with Mr Bells. ;)

Often wonder about life's little coincidences like that. If she'd not been on that site, would I have gone on it, or a different site? How different would life be. As Peachy said, the Butterfly Effect is quite strange when you think about it.

It is. My debating partner split up with her fella of almost ten years, went on a dating site, went out with a lad she wasn't sure about to 'practice dating' because she'd never really done it before, and now they are living together :lol:

Deciding not to leave Sunderland at 18 then eventually f***ing off at 23.

There's probably a number of smaller things that have had a bigger effect but a couple of the bigger decisions I've made have had a big impact.
Jacking in my job and going travelling for a year was probably my best decision.
Taking redundancy from another job so I could write a book was another good move.
There's a pattern emerging, I think I should pack in working.:lol:
There's a couple of "what if" moments where I made decisions and wonder what would have happened had I gone in a different direction.

Taking redundancy from another job so I could write a book was another good move.

What was your book mate? Really interested to hear about it, how you went about researching (or was it fiction?), writing and getting it published. Maybe PM me if you don't want to braodcast the details on here?

Going through multiple miscarriages before our first born.
It's the first time in my life that something has happened that's been out of my control, it made me look at life a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back