Off work sick but seen out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I got sent home early from work with really bad migraines and dizziness. Went home, called in sick the following day because I still did not feel 100%. Got to about midday and felt abit better so I went out for some fresh air.

Low and behold as I'm walking through the city centre I bump into a colleague who questions my time off.

Got back into work to find a meeting arrangement with my manager as to why I was seen outside.

What are the grounds on this? Surely if you are off sick and obviously feel better you can't be expected to stay in your home?
IMHO you should have rang your boss to let him know you are feeling aa little better. Maybe he would hve ssaid take the rest of the day off, or he could have said come back to work

Last week I got sent home early from work with really bad migraines and dizziness. Went home, called in sick the following day because I still did not feel 100%. Got to about midday and felt abit better so I went out for some fresh air.

Low and behold as I'm walking through the city centre I bump into a colleague who questions my time off.

Got back into work to find a meeting arrangement with my manager as to why I was seen outside.

What are the grounds on this? Surely if you are off sick and obviously feel better you can't be expected to stay in your home?
Jobs worth and a grass?
just noticed that this seb

You actually took time off because you had a headache??

Apologies of seb but havent read the thread through, but a one thing stands out in the op.

'wasnt feeling 100%' - since when do you need to be 100% to go to work. Theres a massive difference between unfit for work and not feeling 100% (and therefore being able to work but feeling a bit meh).

If fit enough to take a walk into town were you not fit enough to go into work and do 'lighter' duties?

First of all, you need to make sure you arm yourself right here. Was it definitely a migraine? Did it start with any kind of aura or loss of sensation in the face or limbs? Have you had anything like this happen before?

I would then make sure your employer understands that a migraine is an actual medical condition, affecting your awareness and ability to do your job. I would make it clear to them that it is not acceptable to try and write it off as 'just a headache'. Migraine usually follow the pattern on a period of loss of sensation and some confusion followed by a period of intense pain. When it has ended it can take some time to get back to normal. It is entirely reasonable to take a walk to gauge how you are feeling, or just to get some fresh air, and it not acceptable to a colleague to approach you in the street and start giving you grief for being out of work.

Really, what has it got to do with your colleague? If they have a problem with you they should save it for work, not when you are off sick. They have no right to ask you about your health, it is absolutely none of their business. For me, I would make it clear I would not accept colleagues approaching me in the street, you are not accountable to them, and you do not need to answer questions. You might have been on the way to the doctor or the pharmacy or whatever. You might have asked your managers to tell your colleagues that it was a migraine, but actually, while you keep a brain tumour quiet for all they know. Even if it was your manager, they have no right to challenge you in public, they need to wait until you get back to work. It is not like you called in sick, you were at work suffering the symptoms and were sent home.

Make it clear to them that you will discuss the migraine with your doctor and will take whatever steps necessary to limit the impact of future migraines on your work, or them striking during work, but the fact that you were at work when one happened shows that you are prepared to come in even when the warning signs that you might have one are there. Don't take any nonsense from them, just keep it calm and make it matter of fact.

First of all, you need to make sure you arm yourself right here. Was it definitely a migraine? Did it start with any kind of aura or loss of sensation in the face or limbs? Have you had anything like this happen before?

I would then make sure your employer understands that a migraine is an actual medical condition, affecting your awareness and ability to do your job. I would make it clear to them that it is not acceptable to try and write it off as 'just a headache'. Migraine usually follow the pattern on a period of loss of sensation and some confusion followed by a period of intense pain. When it has ended it can take some time to get back to normal. It is entirely reasonable to take a walk to gauge how you are feeling, or just to get some fresh air, and it not acceptable to a colleague to approach you in the street and start giving you grief for being out of work.

Really, what has it got to do with your colleague? If they have a problem with you they should save it for work, not when you are off sick. They have no right to ask you about your health, it is absolutely none of their business. For me, I would make it clear I would not accept colleagues approaching me in the street, you are not accountable to them, and you do not need to answer questions. You might have been on the way to the doctor or the pharmacy or whatever. You might have asked your managers to tell your colleagues that it was a migraine, but actually, while you keep a brain tumour quiet for all they know. Even if it was your manager, they have no right to challenge you in public, they need to wait until you get back to work. It is not like you called in sick, you were at work suffering the symptoms and were sent home.

Make it clear to them that you will discuss the migraine with your doctor and will take whatever steps necessary to limit the impact of future migraines on your work, or them striking during work, but the fact that you were at work when one happened shows that you are prepared to come in even when the warning signs that you might have one are there. Don't take any nonsense from them, just keep it calm and make it matter of fact.
uh oh! someone know their rights!!!!! Everybody OUT!!!!! :)

Needs a TL : DR

Union rep?

@Adu what's happened? Have you smacked the grass all over yet? Have you been sacked? Have you been off on the sick? Has the meeting even happened yet? Does everyone else ato work know you have a dirty snitch kicking about?

Having read the thread, it feels as though there is more to this than meets the eye. In isolation, an employee being seen out and about whilst off sick shouldn't be enough to warrant a meeting/disciplinary. It is perfectly reasonable for an employee to get "fresh air" or be travelling to an appointment/pharmacy whilst off sick. It may mean a raised eyebrow from the line manager when he returns to work, but certainly not enough to warrant disciplinary action. If, however this has happened before, or the "fresh air" was actually "amber nectar in the fresh air" then I think there is a case to answer. In terms of "going back to work" later in the day - it is reasonable to suggest the OP could have phoned his work and told them he was feeling "a bit better" and offer to come in - the likelihood is that the OP's Line Manager would not want to risk further illness, or compromising H&S and told the OP to stay off, get himself right and return the next day.

The issue with the colleague grassing him up? Well, people at work are generally cunts

Fuck me, fancy grassing up someone from work. Unless someone is a major bellend, I would never think about running to my boss if I seen a colleague outside of work during work hours. I'd ask what they were up to and that would be that.

Now, going back to the major bellend part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back